How does the yeast feel about CO2?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
So I know that the yeast has only a certain tolerance for alcohol, and will die when it reaches a certain level. I've been wondering lately if the CO2 has any effect on the yeast. For instance, when the wine is in the first week of fermenting, and we are stirring it, should we try to exspell the CO2 because the yeast dislikes it, or should we try to leave it in because the yeast likes it? Or does it just ignore it?

When one yeast lets a CO2 bubble out, the other yeasts hold their noses :)

So I know that the yeast has only a certain tolerance for alcohol, and will die when it reaches a certain level. I've been wondering lately if the CO2 has any effect on the yeast. For instance, when the wine is in the first week of fermenting, and we are stirring it, should we try to exspell the CO2 because the yeast dislikes it, or should we try to leave it in because the yeast likes it? Or does it just ignore it?

CO2 is a byproduct of alcohol fermentation. The yeast lets it out. It is of no concern and it actually helps as it forms a layer on top of the fermenting must that works as a barrier to keep the oxygen in the air off of the wine.

Back