How do I know my batch went right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
I just did my first batch of must using a kit of white wine, it suppose to start fermenting tomorrow, so how do I know if everything went as planned? Should I look for some signals like odors, or what things should I be looking for?

The first thing youll notice is that it will usually foam up a little and then start to sizzle like a soda pop. Other then that there really is no way to know but they are pretty much fool proof unless you added the sorbate packet, then your pretty much screwed!

I just did my first batch of must using a kit of white wine, it suppose to start fermenting tomorrow, so how do I know if everything went as planned? Should I look for some signals like odors, or what things should I be looking for?
First welcome to WMT and a great hobby.

Second, when asking about kits please provide the full name name and variety of the kit. Often it helps to provide a correct answer.

Finally, visual signs of fermentation can be misleading. While Wade's response is correct, there may be no visual signs. There was a post about that in one of the forums this week. Sometimes visual signs do tell you that fermentation has begun. The ONLY way to be certain that fermentation is progressing is a hydrometer/specific gravity reading. The only way to be certain that all the sugars have fermented is a hydrometer/specific gravity reading.

If you don't have a hydrometer, I recommend that you get one.

Steve

What they said plus I assume you have an air lock. Snap it on with sanitizing solution or vodka in it and if fermentation is taking place you will see the air lick bubble after a few hours. This is especially good in the first few days when fermentation is most active. If your instructions don't call for an air lock for the first few days just snap it on long enough to check for bubbling. I understand your concern, don't panic . . . fuggettaboutit!

the only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading every day . no other way is reliable.

if it doesn't drop 3 days in a row . then you have a stuck ferment (very rare in a kit) other wise you should see the sugar level drop every day.

Thank you for a great site...

Thank you all for your help, I believe I got it right, this is a great web site and your Tutorials & Reference Guides section has been very helpful...

I will add that sometimes even 3 days is negotiable. Cotes Des Blanc yeast(which I use often on fruit wines) can take 3 days to get started even at correct temps some times. They are right though as hydrometer readings are the right way to test a fermentation but I always see and he fermentation myself before even attempting to drop a hydro in there.

same views as wade. Its always awesome to see the lees bubbling up and down in the fermentation tank!

If you cant see the fermentation going on, I can also normally hear the bubbling at the hole.

Yea, I can see the bubbles going on now, probably it is good, well, I will find out soon.

(check title) Best way to know if it went right is when it is finished, drink it

The first thing youll notice is that it will usually foam up a little and then start to sizzle like a soda pop. Other then that there really is no way to know but they are pretty much fool proof unless you added the sorbate packet, then your pretty much screwed!

I think this is a great answer, Wade, so succinct and to the point - and no equipment required! With some lower foam yeasts, you may have to stir the wine to hear the sizzling sound of CO2 production.

However, I do have an alternate method. After a few days, take a sample of about a cupful, place it in a dish and feed it to your dog. If it begins to run around in circles chasing its own tail while drooling, then suddenly flops over sound asleep, all is well!

:)

Latest posts

Back