How do I get the Yeast out???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orabun

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 batch's of cider going and they are working really well. What I need to know is, when it is time to rack the cider the first time, what is the best method to strain it to remove the left over yeast with out removeing the pulp in the cider? This is the first time Ive made cider, so Ime new at this. Cant find a lot of help on the net without haveing to pay for it. If any one knows where I can find any good info., I would be greatful.

I have 3 batch's of cider going and they are working really well. What I need to know is, when it is time to rack the cider the first time, what is the best method to strain it to remove the left over yeast with out removeing the pulp in the cider? This is the first time Ive made cider, so Ime new at this. Cant find a lot of help on the net without haveing to pay for it. If any one knows where I can find any good info., I would be greatful.

I am assuming you used champagne yeast. The yeast will die when it eats all of the sugar, or when the alcohol gets too high for it to eat anymore sugar. At that time it will die. I'm not sure exactly what you are attempting to accomplish. If you want to kill the yeast because you think the cider has fermented enough 1 campden per gallon will kill the yeast. Potassium sorbate at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon will prevent refermentation of the yeast. If you age your cider long enough everything will settle to the bottom of the carboy and you can rack to another carboy. Just don't disturb the lees on the bottom of the carboy when you rack. I rack through a muslin cloth which does some minor straining.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back