How can this be???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineaddict

Junior
Reaction score
Similar common problem re; early fermentation.
2 weeks since crushing my peaches my hydrometer reading is .995???? How can this be?
I followed my recipe that I have posted for Peach Wine. On day one I crushed the peaches following instructions to the tee for a 5 gallon batch. Beginning hydrometer reading was 1.10, then I added 8#'s sugar and my yeast, 5 days later I have a reading of 1.095, this was 8 days ago. The sediment on the bottom was about an inch thick now and there were maybe 10 of the tiniest little bubbles at the top, but none rising. For this reason I did my first racking. I also obtained a hydrometer reading of .995 almost swallowing my hydrometer. It can't possibly be ready to bottle yet can it????? Did I not put enough sugar into it??? Should I put my potassium sorbate into the wine at this early stage??? I still haven't put in my kleer liquid agent in yet. Love some help on this one, thanks.

Similar common problem re; early fermentation.
2 weeks since crushing my peaches my hydrometer reading is .995???? How can this be?
I followed my recipe that I have posted for Peach Wine. On day one I crushed the peaches following instructions to the tee for a 5 gallon batch. Beginning hydrometer reading was 1.10, then I added 8#'s sugar and my yeast, 5 days later I have a reading of 1.095, this was 8 days ago. The sediment on the bottom was about an inch thick now and there were maybe 10 of the tiniest little bubbles at the top, but none rising. For this reason I did my first racking. I also obtained a hydrometer reading of .995 almost swallowing my hydrometer. It can't possibly be ready to bottle yet can it????? Did I not put enough sugar into it??? Should I put my potassium sorbate into the wine at this early stage??? I still haven't put in my kleer liquid agent in yet. Love some help on this one, thanks.

You had a sg of 1.10 and then you added 8 pounds of sugar???? Are you sure you are reading your hydrometer right? That would bring your sg to over 1.200. I am having a hard time in beleiving this and especially if you are saying it is now .995, post your recipe and your steps, please

The lower the gravity the less sugar you have if any. This means the yeast ate the sugar and produced alcohol. Getting a low .990 reading is good
Now like Julie said pose everything you did. I think you missread the starting gravity. Did you measure the gravity before and after you added the sugar. How did you add the sugar? did you heat up some of the must and add the sugar or just dump it it??

Many questions.. You need to be more precise as to all the steps taken. this way we can help better instead of guessing on our part.

Here is the recipe that I used, I boiled water, disolved the 8#'s sugar into it and then waited till room temp. before adding it to the must. I'm sorry the first reading was 1.10 AFTER I put the 8#'s of sugar in it.
1) 15 lbs of fresh peaches. Halve and pit them and then freeze for at least 2 weeks.
2) Mash and put into muslin bag, along with juices place into 5 gallon bucket.
3) Dissolve 5 crushed campden tablets into must, wait at least 24 hours.
4) Add 1 tsp pectic enzyme, 6 tsp yeast nutrient, 2 tsp dry tannin, approx. 6 tsp. of acid blend (enough to bring the level between 0.55% and 0.65%, prefer 0.60%)
5) Wait 24 hours, add 8 lbs of sugar that has been dissolved in 1 gallon of water, now at room temperature combine with your must. Bring total must level to 5 gallons with water, gravity should be 1.085, if not add sugar and test again. Add 1 package of yeast EC-1118. Place lid on loosely after completion each day.
6) Twice a day stir must for about 5 to 7 days until gravity reaches 1.020 or less, then squeeze pulp bag of remaining juices (removing bag) and transfer must to carboy adding water to get to the 5 gallon level. After placing an airlock stopper on the carboy allow to sit for several weeks, or until the yeast settles approximate 1 " from the bottom.
7) Transfer the must back into the bucket making sure you leave the yeast sentiment behind. Stir the must vigorously to drive off excess carbon dioxide gas. After cleaning the carboy, transfer the must from the bucket back into the carboy and add Super-Kleer. Replace airlock.
8) Repeat step 7 (except adding additional Super-Kleer) several times for the next 2 to 3 months.
9) When the gravity is at 1.00 or below it is ready to bottle, add 1 1/4 tsp of potassium sorbate to stabilize it and pour into bottles
*** I took my readings several times to make sure I had the correct reading. On the day that I transfered the must to the carboy for the first time (step #6) I had a reading of 1.010. Today my reading is 995 and there aren't any bubbles at all (it's only been 14 days since I crushed the peaches) Now one thing I can think of, is that I had to stir the yeast in (a little) due to pulp bag floating on top. This is a 5 gallon batch. Thank you for any advise.

14 Days to ferment dry is very reasonable. I had batches ferment dry in under a week. My Pepper wine I'm doing now started at 1.086 on Sunday and last night it was down to .998. It's done fermenting I believe in less than 4 days.

It can't possibly be ready to bottle yet can it?????

I would say NO, and maybe you didn't mean this statement.

In my opinion it would be a huge mistake to bottle at this stage. My fruit wines did much better after sitting for along time in bulk. You also need to clear, degass, sorbate and Sulfite before bottling.

Here is the recipe that I used, I boiled water, disolved the 8#'s sugar into it and then waited till room temp. before adding it to the must. I'm sorry the first reading was 1.10 AFTER I put the 8#'s of sugar in it.
1) 15 lbs of fresh peaches. Halve and pit them and then freeze for at least 2 weeks.
2) Mash and put into muslin bag, along with juices place into 5 gallon bucket.
3) Dissolve 5 crushed campden tablets into must, wait at least 24 hours.
4) Add 1 tsp pectic enzyme, 6 tsp yeast nutrient, 2 tsp dry tannin, approx. 6 tsp. of acid blend (enough to bring the level between 0.55% and 0.65%, prefer 0.60%)
5) Wait 24 hours, add 8 lbs of sugar that has been dissolved in 1 gallon of water, now at room temperature combine with your must. Bring total must level to 5 gallons with water, gravity should be 1.085, if not add sugar and test again. Add 1 package of yeast EC-1118. Place lid on loosely after completion each day.
6) Twice a day stir must for about 5 to 7 days until gravity reaches 1.020 or less, then squeeze pulp bag of remaining juices (removing bag) and transfer must to carboy adding water to get to the 5 gallon level. After placing an airlock stopper on the carboy allow to sit for several weeks, or until the yeast settles approximate 1 " from the bottom.
7) Transfer the must back into the bucket making sure you leave the yeast sentiment behind. Stir the must vigorously to drive off excess carbon dioxide gas. After cleaning the carboy, transfer the must from the bucket back into the carboy and add Super-Kleer. Replace airlock.
8) Repeat step 7 (except adding additional Super-Kleer) several times for the next 2 to 3 months.
9) When the gravity is at 1.00 or below it is ready to bottle, add 1 1/4 tsp of potassium sorbate to stabilize it and pour into bottles
*** I took my readings several times to make sure I had the correct reading. On the day that I transfered the must to the carboy for the first time (step #6) I had a reading of 1.010. Today my reading is 995 and there aren't any bubbles at all (it's only been 14 days since I crushed the peaches) Now one thing I can think of, is that I had to stir the yeast in (a little) due to pulp bag floating on top. This is a 5 gallon batch. Thank you for any advise.

OK here is what I see
#1 15# for 5 gallons is way low
#2 OK
#3 I would have added the sugar and water to 5 gal.
#4 Low on Pectic 1/2tsp per gal you made 5 so = 2 1/2tsp min
#5 OK
#6 I would rack when .990 for a few days degass
#7 You did not add K-Meta or Sorbate.. Why? Degass
#8 Only need 1 pkg of super kleer .. Degass
#9 its not ready to bottle so soon. Just because its .990 does not mean its ready for bottle
Once adding the K-meta on secondary add 1/4tsp every 3 months
I usually age 6 months

My room temp. is 73 to 75 degrees. Last night was when I completed my first racking and discovered my sg reading at .995, after only 2 weeks, also it appears my fermenting is complete due to lack of bubbles. If I am to understand everyone, it appears I am (maybe) still okay? and I need to add my pkg of Super Kleer now? Also add 1 1/4 teaspoons of potassium sorbate now? Rack again in 1 month/degass and then again once a month for several months??? Then bottle.

My room temp. is 73 to 75 degrees. Last night was when I completed my first racking and discovered my sg reading at .995, after only 2 weeks, also it appears my fermenting is complete due to lack of bubbles. If I am to understand everyone, it appears I am (maybe) still okay? and I need to add my pkg of Super Kleer now? Also add 1 1/4 teaspoons of potassium sorbate now? Rack again in 1 month/degass and then again once a month for several months??? Then bottle.
Lack of bubbles dont mean its finished. Check the gravity for 3-4 days if same then its finished. Sorbat is added at a rate if 1/2tsp per gal and k-meta 1/4tsp for 6 gallons.
Once you add these, degass real well and then add super-kleer no further additions needed. Once added wait 3-4 weeks and rack leaving the sediment behind.

Just checked the sg again and it's still .995.
So Tom your suggesting in about 3-4 days I should add 2 1/2 tsp of K-Sorbate and add 1/4 tsp of K-meta? (I thought K-meta was a powder for adding to water and then to clean your instruments???) How long would you suggest I now keep in the carboy? Rack how many more times? Thank you.

Just checked the sg again and it's still .995.
So Tom your suggesting in about 3-4 days I should add 2 1/2 tsp of K-Sorbate and add 1/4 tsp of K-meta? (I thought K-meta was a powder for adding to water and then to clean your instruments???) How long would you suggest I now keep in the carboy? Rack how many more times? Thank you.
Yes follow above timing. Did you taste it yet? You may want to add a "flavor-pac" and backsweeten. Do a search here for bothIf doing a f-pac wait till you do that before adding clearing stuff.

Back