How can I lower my acid content?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CChampion

Junior
Reaction score
What is the best way to lower the acid of my blackberry wine. For some reason it is reading a little high. The tritration test read around .75 and I thought it needed to be around .60 to .65.

thanks,
clark

Calcium carbonate is used to raise ph. Up to 1/2 ounce / 5 gallons.I bet you could leave it alone and it would be just fine.

The calcuium carbonate will precipitate out in about 30 minutes. Acid levels will also change during fermentation depending on what yeasts you use, so I've always just shot for a general area on the ph and acid and adjusted post fermentation

I prefer to wait until post-fermentation to make adjustments. (Having said that, I did adjust one mead mid-fermentation because the pH was dropping to a level that it was adversely affecting the fermentation.)

Thanks for the replys. Because I am a newbie and if it ever fermented out and the acid content was in that range, what possibilities are there to lower it. I think that would be kinda high for a finished wine such as a blackberry or blueberry.

1/2 ounce of calcium XXXchlorideXXX is expected to lower T.A. by .11% in 5 gallons. Or reduce 5 gallon of fermented wine from .75% to .64%. Using more may create flaws...........Yea my bad calcium carbonate.

Ok, my blackberry is fermented to dry and is still a little above the .65 tartaric level, is this OK or will I benefit from lowering it by adding the K bicarbonate and cold stabilizing for a few weeks. I don't want a real sharp bite with it, I like a more sweet wine. Any help or advice is more than welcomed, I haven't used K sorbate yet.

Thanks

AS you sweeten the wine the acid bite will get covered up. I made a mistake with my first apple wine. I followed a guideline for the acid levels and then after I sweetened the wine it seemed flat. I had to add some acid and it turned out great. Take a small sample, sweeten it and see what you have.

BOB

Time will also mellow this... Some flavors will enhance and begin bringing a better balance to your wine.

My blackberry Port was so "tart" I could barely sample it right after fermentation. Now things are turning around.

Latest posts

Back