How Big and How would you design it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I am newer to the whole winemaking world and do not have tons of experience. I purchased a property this last year on 6.5 acres that had an established vineyard on it. We have around 400 primativo vines on about an acre of the land. This last harvest was fairly dismal as the vines had not been taken care of for a while (couple of years, no pruning, no fertilizing, etc.). I did lots of reading and with a minor amount of help took the harvest from picking to wine currently aging.
The reason for my questions is I am looking to build a new shop on my property and have some dedicated space for doing miniature winery operations.
What physical size would you ideally have for wine making? I would also like to eventually have some space for brewing as well.
What are some key attributes you would want for your space? (i.e. insulation, water, power, center draining floor?
I am working on designing my building but don't want to sell myself short in the long run.
Thanks for your input...
-Warren

You need to break it down...

1) area to press and primary ferment wine,
2) area to age wine in bulk
3) area to age wine in the bottle
4) a lab area with counters, shelves, and a sink (hot and cold water)

and finally,

5) an area to relax and enjoy a bottle with friends and family (aka a man cave).

For 1 through 4, I recommend anywhere from 800 to 1200 square feet.
for 5, I would recommend an area of about 30 by 40 (room for recliners, a bar, a flatscreen, and perhaps a fireplace) and an insulated wall that separates the "man cave" from the winery.

I would have 2 zones for heat, One for the man cave and one for the winery. This way, you can keep the winery cold and the man cave warm.

30x40 with a partion wall somewhere seperating wine/beer making from relaxing area.
a door to the outside from the wine making area with a concrete slab with a roof for a crushing area....spigot so you can was everything down.
inside...electrical of course water of course floor drain of course, lots of racks,shelves, etc, insulation...just like a home, but with only one partiions.

Just to add to what James has said..

Split space into "man cave" and "winery". Have them closed off and separate from each other.

I would arrange it in such a way that the wine making area can be completely hosed down. I recommend just a bare concrete floor with a central drywell. This comes in very handy when the place is a mess after a fall harvest/crush. Being able to simply hose down my equipment, my walls, and my floor is true luxury!

Where are you located? Minnesota? Texas? You might want a basement under part of your shed if you're in an area where you can have a basement. That will prevent temperature fluctuations on your bulk storage wine. If there are wineries nearby, you might go visit one or two and talk to the owner.

p.s. You might also post in the section on growing grapes and vineyards.

Last edited:
Great question Gary, thank you.
I am in Northern California, in the foothills in the town of Paradise. About 90 miles north of Sacramento. We do see pretty high summertime temperatures in the high 90's up to low 100's for a few days a year.

Back