Homemade Magnetic Stirrer Build Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is a stirrer useful in wine making. I stated on here that I agitated all my brews every day for the first 3 days of the kits startup and I got slated and advised not to agitate yeasting wine.

Hi Sampvt,

I made this primarily to test Tartaric Acid levels using a titration kit and a PH meter. I don't know how to test sulfites yet. I can figure these two things out very easily with light colored wines, however it's very difficult to see color changes in dark wine samples. I forgot to buy the buffer solutions for my PH meter so I don't even know what's up with my Welch's Wine. Lol I keep drinking it though. All I can say right now is that it's still sweet for some odd reason, and it needs more tannin. Have a great night! Cheers

I have a fan, a 110 volt/12 volt converter, a potentiometer and I will be getting my magnets. My potentiometer has three prongs. One is for grounding. I am making this with a tupperware bowl. I am hoping I do not need to ground this.

how should I wire this stuff?

and what magnets do I need

Last edited:
I have a fan, a 110 volt/12 volt converter, a potentiometer and I will be getting my magnets. My potentiometer has three prongs. One is for grounding. I am making this with a tupperware bowl. I am hoping I do not need to ground this.

how should I wire this stuff?

and what magnets do I need

Actually, I doubt that one of your potentiometer's prongs is "for grounding." For the overwhelming majority of pots (potentiometers), the resistance between the outermost two prongs is fixed. The resistance between the first and the second prongs will vary as you turn the knob. Likewise, the resistance between the second and the third prongs will vary as you turn the knob.

So you wire it like this: Take the two leads from your converter. Paying attention to the polarity, attach one directly to your fan. Attach the other lead from your converter to one of the outermost prongs of your pot. Finally, attach a wire from the center prong of your pot to the remaining terminal on your fan.

You can get small rare-earth magnets (neodymium, say) from ebay.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here but don't you need two sets of magnets. A stir bar magnet (obviously) for the sample beaker but then you also glue some small magnets to the fan blades themselves.

but then you also glue some small magnets to the fan blades themselves.

I believe the idea is the fan is a magnetic motor. Get it close enough to the beaker, and it should have enough attraction to move the magnet in the beaker.

That is certainly what I had in mind when I suggested buying rare-earth magnets from ebay!

Home Depot has them on-line. I don't know if they are available in the store. Might want to check Lowes, Ace Hardware, True Value, etc.

I picked up a fan and potentiometer from Radio Shack at half price. They were closing soon. about 10 for both.

I have a perfectly good mag stirrer but you guys are making me want to build one just to satisfy the MacGyver in me! :)

MacGyverKnifeSetMOC1a.jpg

I am afraid it will not work. Your fan would go from full speed to "off" by turning the knob approximately 0.07 degrees. Seriously.

You could make this pot work by adding a transistor to the circuit. I could draw the circuit for you if you are interested. However, I think I would just nab a pot with a much lower resistance. If you cannot find the one I posted, perhaps you can find a 100 ohm pot. That is about as high as I would go.

OK, since nobody else has done so, I guess I need to show just how stupid I am and ask.. Just what is a potentiometer? Is that much like a toy train transformer where the amount of power can be adjusted??

it will adjust the output power source

transformers will change the type of power from coming in to what's going out. your train transformer is most likely a combination of both being used.

Last edited:
Just what is a potentiometer? Is that much like a toy train transformer where the amount of power can be adjusted??

Yes. A potentiometer is a variable resistor. As you turn it, the resistance increases/decreases. Thus, the amount of voltage it transmits changes with the resistance. The higher the voltage, the faster the fan spins. Or, in your example, the train moves.

Latest posts

Back