Homemade Bottle Filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
I did a little scrounging around the garage and found all the parts I needed to make the stand. The nozzle was ordered online. I think I have around $60 to $70 invested and a couple hours time. filler 2.jpg

I plan on using it to bottle some Sparkling Hard Cider tomorrow.

RegionRat said:
I did a little scrounging around the garage and found all the parts I needed to make the stand. The nozzle was ordered online. I think I have around $60 to $70 invested and a couple hours time.

I plan on using it to bottle some Sparkling Hard Cider tomorrow.

Sweet!!!!!!!

Looking good! So how'd it work out for you?

It works like a champ. I bottle a batch of hard cider with no problems.

I have to do a little tweaking. I have to make some kind of stop so the bottles are centered under the nozzle. I have found while messing around just filling bottles with water there is an optimal place to get the least amount of product sucked into the overflow. Other then that I am happy

RR

I've found controlling the vacuum was the best way to that. Are you using a Harbor Freight vacuum pump?

The pump I am using is a SCHUCO-VAC 130. I got it used off of Ebay for under $60 delivered. It pulls a good vacuum. If not the pump head can be rebuild. So I was not afraid buying one used.

As for filling. Playing with the vacuum does help when filling.Too much vacuum and the wine hits the bottle hard and splashes back and get sucked up into the overflow. I also did notice the way liquid splashes while coming out of the nozzle matters a little. The position of the opening where the liquid flows in relationship of the inside wall of the bottle makes a subtle difference, so moving the bottle back or forward can reduce that splashing

RR.

That is very nice. You should start selling them on here?

Thanks, but no thanks. I have a full time career and I dont want to compete with anyone that is a payed vender/advertiser on here. I try to be very careful about listing sources where I pick up items to build there gadgets. I try to get them from fellow forum members first and when people send me PMs asking where to get things I always try to direct them to fellow forum members.

RR

Thanks for the idea RR, Buddy and I built me one last night........he does metalwork for a living and has access to powder coater so after a little shake and bake at powdercoater next week I will mount it on a base and give it a try.........we were a little confused on the spring tension. How much did you load the spring, if any, with no bottle under it.
Tom

20130103_201013.jpg

Thanks for the idea RR, Buddy and I built me one last night........he does metalwork for a living and has access to powder coater so after a little shake and bake at powdercoater next week I will mount it on a base and give it a try.........we were a little confused on the spring tension. How much did you load the spring, if any, with no bottle under it.
Tom

Nice job. You will like it.

To figure out the spring tension I just played around with it till i figured out, "this is a good place to drill a hole."

I measured it for you and the hole where the spring is attached is 4 1/4" down from the hole where the bolt is.

RR

Thanks..........I'll look lot better after powder coating and get it on a base. I have some white plastic board 1/2 thick kinda like chopping boards are made out of I'm gonna make the base out of. What really matters is how well it works..........maybe know that middle of next week.
Tom

Thanks..........I'll look lot better after powder coating and get it on a base. I have some white plastic board 1/2 thick kinda like chopping boards are made out of I'm gonna make the base out of. What really matters is how well it works..........maybe know that middle of next week.
Tom

When I got mine set up for the first time I did trial runs with a clear wine bottle and just water. That way I could watch the flow out of the nozzle while adjusting the vacuum and bottle position. You will find there is a sweet spot when you keep the bottle just a little towards the back. I made a stop block to rest the bottle against so it lines up in the same spot every time.

RR

RR, I remembered you mentioning that about the stop and that is the reason we kept the base of the stand behind the upright and planned bolting it to a plastic or wooden base as either would be easier to incorperate a stop on. At the restaurant we have several table mounted peices such as prep machines and shake mixers, they have screw on suction cup feet to prevent them from moving while using, I'm gonna see if I can come up with some of those feet put on the bottom instead of having to clamp it down.
Tom

RR, I remembered you mentioning that about the stop and that is the reason we kept the base of the stand behind the upright and planned bolting it to a plastic or wooden base as either would be easier to incorperate a stop on. At the restaurant we have several table mounted peices such as prep machines and shake mixers, they have screw on suction cup feet to prevent them from moving while using, I'm gonna see if I can come up with some of those feet put on the bottom instead of having to clamp it down.
Tom

Here you go, suction cup drill 4 holes and fire in a couple screws. I might do that to mine. Good idea.

Edit: WOW I just noticed the shipping on those. I am gonna look at Home Depot or Tractor Supply.

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is some with free shipping.

Nice find. I was thinking more along the lines of them having female threads. That way you can screw them in from the top.

Edit: The more I think about it I am going to order those. I will just drill and tap holes in the bottom. The base I used is a piece of Corian I had. It will work out just fine.
RR

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back