Home made press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I've started my first wine from fresh grapes this weekend. Wasn't planning on it but opportunity knocked. So now I have about 13 gals of must full of real life grape skins (kinda overwhelming for a guy who does kits). I need to press the grapes (I am assuming about this weekend - soI have about a week to come up with something).

If you have a bit of time you can build one fairly cheaply or you can buy one that is small, but big enough to do what you have. I use my apple cider press for the time being but will soon need a larger more efficient press. Here are a couple links to some on WinePress. I know you are probably familiar with that forum- I just looked up a couple I thought were interesting.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=20938

I can't find the other one yet. It was a bucket drilled full of holes- had a couple slots cut in the sides at the top to hold a 2x4 and used a screw type bolt to drive a plate down for pressing. It was in WineMaker Mag a ycouple years back. You can always use a straining bag and wring the juice out a small batch at a time. Most of the juice will free run out after a week anyways. Good luck!

Many LHBS's or Wineries will rent you a press for the day. Have you checked this possibility out?

Salute!
smiley1.gif

I have, my LHBS has a fruit press and they don't want me to use it for grapes. Given the short time I haven't really expended into the local wineries but I'll be thinking about it for next year for sure.

Hello all - I'm thinking of making anapple/pear press and have plans to use but was wondering if I could substitue a plastic bucket for the wooden basket? I was thinking I could use a small food-grade fermenter bucket so that it would have a spigot - it would be easier than making a wooden/steel basket and easier to clean - my only concern is whether it would be strong enough to withstand the pressure of pressing apples or pears?I'm not sure how much of the pressure is straight down vs. to the side. The bucketsseem pretty strong but I'm not sure.

If anyone with experience with presses has a thought about this I would be interested in hearing it - before I go to the trouble of making all of this!

Thanks,
Wayne

It would probably work fine Wayne if you get enough holes in the sides. There isn't that much side pressure, mostly down. A lot of actual large cider presses are made with basically no sides, just using cloth to form the cheeses as they are called. They are made by putting a cloth in a square form, filling with pomace, fold the cloth over, take the form off and add another layer above that one using the same process. When there are several layers high, the press squeezes the whole stack with no sides on it at all.

Good luck making it.

Hello Appleman - thanks - that makes sense and what I was hoping to hear - I'll take some photos when I get to this.......
Wayne

Back