Home done clearing agents

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Ok guys n gals. My high octane skeeter pee is done cooking but due to the tomatoe paste i used in it (which added an actual semi pleasent flavour) is refusing to clear in a timely manner lol. I dont have any comercial clearing agents at the house and the nearist wine supply store is too far away.

So what im asking is what is yalls favorite method of speed clearing a wine without the use of a comercial clearing agent?

Put it in the fridge, this it seems helps force the particles to drop out of suspension.

Egg whites? But maybe too much protein from the tomato juice?

"Albumin (Egg-white)

Egg-whites are often used to reduce astringency by removing small quantities of phenolic materials from red wines. Egg-whites have been used to fine French Burgundy and Bordeaux wines for hundreds of years, and this inexpensive protein material is still used for fining high quality red wines. Egg-whites are also used to "polish" or clarify red wines to give added brilliance. Egg-whites should not be used to clarify cloudy wines. They are not beneficial when used in cloudy wines, and excessive protein can cause additional problems.

The whites from one to four eggs are the usual quantities used for a barrel (60 gallons) of wine. This is roughly equivalent to 1/2 to 2 milliliters of egg albumin per gallon of wine. A small pinch of table salt should be added to a cup or so of warm water. The egg-white should be separated from the yoke carefully. One part egg-white should be mixed with two parts salt water. The mixture should be stirred thoroughly before being added to the wine, but the mixture should not be beaten to a stiff froth. Add the egg-white mixture to the wine slowly and stir continuously. The wine should be racked in a week or so."

this was from http://www.brehmvineyards.com/fining.html

You may have pectic haze from the tomatoes?
I second the egg WHITES

Ok ima try the egg whites out. So how much would you recomend per gallon? And should i put just a "smidge" of salt in with it? How quick is it sopposed to work?

I thought about cat litter, but who knows?

I have tried the egg whites, but it didn't really work very well for me (probably a user error).

Back