RJ Spagnols Holy Fermentation!!!!!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
The German Gewurztraminer kit that I am trying out fermented from 1.100 to 1.090 the first day, then dropped from 1.090 to 1.010 overnight!
I had started to smell a little sulfur and immediately added Fermaid K, it stopped that, but I am surprised to see the SG drop that much.
As far as the taste, I don't know if it is a "kit" taste, or the Elderberries flowers included, but it almost has an aftertaste like that of canned goods, maybe it's just me.
We will see when it is finished.

I am having some fast fermentations lately also, but nothing like that. I am beginning to wonder if I am keeping the must too warm to get the fermentation going. I am a little paronoid about this because my very first try at wine making got a stuck fermentation.

That is extremely fast! I've never heard of a wine fermenting at such a rate. It must have gotten way, way too hot to drop that fast.

No, I avoided that, I actually used a yeast that had a lower heat tolerance. K1 -V1116, odd...that'll learn me for changing a kit up a little...

What was your fermentation temp? I have tried to keep my white wines fermenting a little cooler than the reds. My cab fermented a little faster than I wanted, but it seems to be just fine. I let my cab ferment at around 74 degrees.

My Riesling on the other hand ran around 69 degrees if I remember correctly.

It started at 73°, I didn't check temp, but it wasn't too hot, I tasted it a few times and it wasn't anything that I haven't already experienced.
It is what it is, it is clarifying and in a carboy at this point.

Latest posts

Back