Hippie...Watch for that bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Settling down under the shade of the big oak tree at the rivers edge, the sun casting her diamonds across the crystal clear waters as I slowly lean back against the knarled old trunk, the moss cool to my aching back. I began wondering, what do I do next with my Blackberry Wine? I begin my mental check list, fully aware that my procedures and techniques to date were somewhat erroneous, including not making notes anywhere except in my God given Palm Pilot. Slowly and carefully I recall the steps to date, hoping Hippie will bear with me through all of this as I write down the events as I recall them.

I Fermeted the blackberries with Fleischmans yeast for approximately 20 days in my bucket. Er uh "Primary Fermenter" , stirring the goo, I mean "Must" about every day or so. I then strained it through some nylon stockings stretched over a plastic funnel from Wally World into my "Carboy"...see, I'm getting there.I then put an airlock on the carboy and have watched it bubble for about 3 weeks. With the bubbling slowing to about one bubble every 15-20 seconds.Last saturday, I racked it into another carboy, drawing a sample with my new Wine Thief I checked it with my new hydrometer and it showed no signs of any sugar remaining. I replaced the airlock and there it has set until Monday evening when at the behest of possibly some bad advice I : The following is the instructions I received.
<DIR>

1. If you haven't added Campden / potassium metabisulfite yet, then crush and dissolve one Campden tablet for each gallon of wine in your carboy. Stir it in real good with your whiz-bang stirrer. This will give a 'knock out' punch to the old yeast. 2. Put an airlock on the carboy. Wait 48 hours. 3. Remove the airlock. Rack the wine to a clean, sanitized primary fermenting bucket. Take specific gravity reading with a sanitized hydrometer. 4. Add yeast nutrient according to the package directions, then sprinkle the wine yeast on top of the wine. 5. Secure the lid on the bucket, insert the airlock into the lid.
6. Sit back and wait for the action to start. 7. Monitor fermentation, and rack back to carboy when hydrometer reading indicates 1.000 or lower. Insert airlock. 8. When all fermentation has ceased (hydrometer around .998 and no further bubbling in airlock), then add a bit of potassium sorbate (according to package directions) and another round of crushed Campden tablets and stir. The wine will foam up a bit. Stir well. 9. Allow the wine to fall clear, then bottle your masterpiece!

I make note that I have done none of the above except for adding the campden tablets and stirring it good. Slowly I roll up the piece of paper I have written on, place it inside a 750 ml wine bottle, and inserting the cork tightly I toss it into the river, knowing ole Hippie will be downstream taking his saturday bath and will retrieve the wine bottle, hopefully read my notes inside and offer me his advise on just what steps I should really take. </DIR>

LMAO! You are quite the poet!

I think you need to search the newsletter archives for Martina's scratch winemaking instructions!

I looked off the White River bridge at Augusta today (monday) when we crossed it coming home. I didn't see the bottle yet. I was on Pensacloa Beach on fri, sat, and sun and didn't see it down there either!

smiley36.gif

Glad to have you back Hippie. I will see if I can find Martinas instructions. I am just not sure what Ii need to do now.

Martina...where are your instructions at?

Comon Hippie.I know you found that bottle...gimme a hint of what I need to do here...

Let us know if you still need help or have any questions. Do you have a good winemaking book? Nothing will help you more than reading and studying up.

smiley33.gif

Terry Garey "The Joy of Home Winemaking"

CJJ Berry "First Steps in Winemaking"

Check with George what he's got or look on www.amazon.com for used books. I got both books for under 8 bucks.

Thanks Martina..I found Joy of Winemaking on ebay and have a bid in at 5.00 so if that doesnt work out I will check with George.

OK Martina and Hippie...I added my sorbate this morning ( Yep, I dissolved it first in some wine I drew out of the carboy with my wine thief and stirred it good with my whiz banger stirring stick) along with some oak. Took a picture for you guys/gals to scrutinize and put in back in the corner. How is it looking? Tried another vinometer test for alcohol content but I just can't read that danged thing.

2005-08-17_062402_Untitled-1.jpg
2005-08-17_062641_Untitled-2.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

It looks good!

That airlock isn't supposed to be full though. When the wine is still, the level in the airlock should be midway up the bubblers.

You asked for scrutiny.

smiley22.gif

If the wine is finished fermenting (no change in hydrometer reading for a couple weeks) stabilize with sulphite and sorbate at the next racking, if you haven't already done so. Each time you rack off the lees or sediment, catch the oak cubes in a colander, rinse them off, and readd before topping up. I would not rack more than 1 time every 4 weeks. Bulk age for as long as you can stand it. Top up as needed with your favorite red wine, or blackberry brandy! Remember, never bottle any wine until the carboy will remain sediment free for 4 weeks and the wine is clear. Sometimes you can have a haze and not have any sediment. I have remedied haze with a filter, but most of the time in fruit wines, it is due to not using enough pectic enzyme in the must. For really stubborn hazes which do not respond to additional pectic enzyme treatments, a 2-part fining may be required. George has it available for shipment, of course. Also remember, there is no hurry to bottle the wine ever and also no hurry to get rid of a haze. BULK AGE. Keep topped up and don't let the airlock go dry.

smiley33.gif

There was no peptic enzyme used at all during primary fermenting and I have already stabilized with campden tablets and sorbate. Should I go ahead and rack it again this weekend and add some bentonite or try some pectic enzyme first?

I wouldn't do anything right now except let it sit, unless you haven't racked in 4 weeks. I would not use bentonite at all at this point. NO HURRY!

smiley22.gif

Gotcha Hippie......The grasshopper must now learn patience. I am fighting that "patience my butt, I wanna bottle something"

Butt if you don't learn patience you will never have a good wine. Once it is in the bottle it is available to drink. If you bottle too soon or drink it to early, you'll never have good wine.
smiley11.gif
So sit your butt down and admire your carboys, but don't bug it!

Plopping down on my butt.........Not even gonna look at them carboys again until around the end of September

Unless it develops a layer of sediment, then go ahead and rack if it has been 4 weeks since.

Latest posts

Back