High alcohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
I just tried some white wine that has been aging for 6 months and the alcohol is very strong, according to the starting and final SG readings, the approximated alcohol is about 15.50 per volumen, is there a way I can lower this? What about adding water? This is just a regular white wine made with grape concentrate.

Water would make the wine too thin. You could make wine coolers out of it, using a raspberry,or lemon-lime soda or fruit juice.

You have to be careful not to get the alcohol so high, for the culture you're using, that you cause alcohol death of the yeast. You want those cells alive to age the wine. If you have a triple hydrometer, it's easy to spin it around to see what brix equals a certain potential alcohol.

Water would make the wine too thin. You could make wine coolers out of it, using a raspberry,or lemon-lime soda or fruit juice.

You have to be careful not to get the alcohol so high, for the culture you're using, that you cause alcohol death of the yeast. You want those cells alive to age the wine. If you have a triple hydrometer, it's easy to spin it around to see what brix equals a certain potential alcohol.

What would you say it's the highest we can go in a white wine?

I don't think 15.5 is high for a white. Anything over that would be, though.

Well, even tho you might like a 15.5% ABV, you need to be sure your culture can handle that much alcohol without death. This is why it's important to understand your cultures--many have other nutritional needs, also. Some cultures can only handle up to 13% alcohol.

Many people like lower alcohol whites--like around 10% and this is fine if you have them all gone in a year's time. We have white wines around the winery much longer than this, so we always go with a 12.5% alcohol content. The higher alcohol gives you more preservation time--so it just depends on what you're doing. 12-12.5% ABV is good for nearly any wine you will make.

From what I've read, most wines are well-balanced from 10-13%. I've found that I don't want to go over 13% because the wine tends to be a it strong. Two or three glasses and I have a heck of a buzz. Any more I think I want to make them at 11-12%.

I think to get a good balance, though, it depends on the type of wine for whatever percentage of alcohol.

I don't think 15.5 is high for a white. Anything over that would be, though.

Wow, DoctorCAD, I don't think I could party with you! I believe that 15.5% ABV is high for any unfortified wine, red, white or blush. I feel as is stated above a good number for wines is in the 11 to 13% ABV range, with whites toward the lower end and reds toward the higher end. I have, lately, enjoyed some of the "big" reds that are coming in at 14-15%, but that is with a hearty meal. The suggestion that I like above is to serve the wine with some type of soda. I like a "wine spritzer" which is what I call wine with club soda over ice.

I just tried some white wine that has been aging for 6 months and the alcohol is very strong, according to the starting and final SG readings, the approximated alcohol is about 15.50 per volumen, is there a way I can lower this? What about adding water? This is just a regular white wine made with grape concentrate.

You might also try partially reconstituting a can of white grape concentrate. Maybe 1 1/2 cans of water instead of 3 cans. You didn't state the quantity but for about a 3 gallon batch, this may be close. With this, you will thin the wine without losing flavor. Taste testing will have to be your guide. (Another benefit of our hobby!!)
To get a better idea of the ABV, go to www.fermcalc.com, select the Alcohol content section. This is the Honneyman method.

Last edited:
Adding more fruit juice or concentrate might make it more palatable (less alcoholic tasting), but it will also sweeten it and make it more of an alcoholic fruit beverage than a wine. My suggestion would be to make another lower alcohol wine and blend like wyntheef said.

I also agree with Rocky, that 15% + is HUGE for a white wine. I don't know how you could make a balanced white with that much alcohol.

To answer your question about how high you can get the alcohol...with a strong yeast like EC-1118 you could get 18% or maybe a little more. That's just through fermentation; you can go as high as you like by fortifying.

A little higher vacuum, than is required for degassing, can boil off some of the alcohol, but it can also cause your carboy to implode, so be very careful doing this.

On another winemaking forum, inevitably there have been countless newbies who ask how to make wine with as high alcohol content as possible. We kept having to tell them that the higher the alcohol content doesn't mean the better the wine, and explaining balance of good wine.

On another winemaking forum, inevitably there have been countless newbies who ask how to make wine with as high alcohol content as possible. We kept having to tell them that the higher the alcohol content doesn't mean the better the wine, and explaining balance of good wine.

That is very true, wine has its alcohol range and we should stick within it, if someone wants to drink higher alcohol, they can drink scotch or tequila instead:)

Thank you all for your great advise, another lesson learned in this wonderful forum...

A little higher vacuum, than is required for degassing, can boil off some of the alcohol, but it can also cause your carboy to implode, so be very careful doing this.
That doesn't sound like a good idea. lower preasure usually means higher boiling point, and vice versa. My iffy physics aside, I've never heard of anyone vacuum distilling.

That doesn't sound like a good idea. lower preasure usually means higher boiling point, and vice versa. My iffy physics aside, I've never heard of anyone vacuum distilling.

Better check your physics. I believe lower pressure equals lower boiling point. A car radiator is a good example. The cap keeps pressure in and the fluid will not boil at 230 deg F.
And I think you are correct on the vacuum distilling.

Better check your physics. I believe lower pressure equals lower boiling point. A car radiator is a good example. The cap keeps pressure in and the fluid will not boil at 230 deg F.
And I think you are correct on the vacuum distilling.
That makes sense... I know water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes...duh :slp

Latest posts

Back