High ABV Cherry Wine max out yeast vs stabilization?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter32

Junior
Reaction score
Recipe was around 32# cherries, OG 1.115, EC1118. fermentation finished 3 months ago. Current SG below 1.00

This was one of my first batches of wine with an oops OG, decided to run with it. I know I will have to age this quite some time.

Can/should I add more sugar to this up to the point the yeast can't handle it versus stabilizing and back sweetening after bulk aging? pros/cons?

I doubt that fermentation could restart after three months and the alcohol environment.

How does it taste?

Best option is stablize , get the wine clear, taste and then back sweeten if necessary to taste.

Recipe was around 32# cherries, OG 1.115, EC1118. fermentation finished 3 months ago. Current SG below 1.00

This was one of my first batches of wine with an oops OG, decided to run with it. I know I will have to age this quite some time.

Can/should I add more sugar to this up to the point the yeast can't handle it versus stabilizing and back sweetening after bulk aging? pros/cons?

You're in the 16% range now, 1118 peters out around 18%, so it could handle more if it's still viable. At 16%, it may be hard to restart, requiring new yeast/starter attempts. Might just be easier to fortify the wine and sweeten it.

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I'll go the stabilize route, going to wait another few months before I do that though. I haven't tasted it yet btw. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back