Hey Waldo, What about Strawberry Port!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jobe, have you tried the Port I sent you? It had the dried red bananas added to it for body

I haven't tried it yet Waldo....... But I'll tell ya, it's lkilling me! I wanted to let it age for a bit, ut I'm thinking if I open it, I'll have a 375ml bottle ready to re-cork half of it and I will let that age, along with one of Wades wines the e sent me. I'v been just trying to keep myself busy and not think about it............ thanks for the reminder
smiley5.gif

jobe05 said:
Stvr, Thanks for your input, it's always worth hearing about personal experiences. I'm going to try a 3 gallon batch more as an experiment. I'd be mildly surprised if it turned out anything like the blackberry Port, but still worth a shot. In looking at the recipe that Waldo posted for me, and thinking that strawberry will be weak in body, I'm going to add more of the Malt and raisins, and possibly the banana.......... although I'm not convinced on those yet....... but Waldo would never steer me wrong.

The ascorbic acid is interesting, at which point would It be added? Once stabilized? Also, 12 to 13 years is a long time to keep wine around for me right now, and enjoy making it sometimes more than drinking it. I would give my strawberry 12 to 13 months to age, then 12 to 13 months to drink

My only concern was that Strawberry is not a robust tasting fruit and may not be the best candidate for a high alcohol, full bodied and sweetened finished product. But I don't know what your going for here. Hey, you just never know, thats why this hobby is so much fun. I'm always tweaking every recipe and only use them as a guideline. BTW, banana is recommended for a full bodied Port unless you are using something else.

I add the ascorbic acid anytime after active fermentation is over. Mainly at the 3 month bulk age rackpoint, especially if the wine got splashed around and certainlyby bottle time.

The 12/13 year old bottles were flukes! Just a couple of straggler bottles that got left hanging around };>)P
Although I did leave a 5 gallon CB of Blueberry wine sit for 8/9 years before I bottled it. I'm half way through the batch now and it's awesome!

Moonshine? I'm not touching that question!

Best of luck.

I converted to liters but here is my guess:

((22.8l*.2abv)+(2.84l*.99abv)) / (22.8l + 2.84l) =

(4.56+2.80) / 25.64 =

7.37 / 25.64 = ~28.7%

Thanks coaster, that close to what I thought I would get based on what was calculated for my last 3 gallon batch, and now adding 33% more Moonshine.
stvr....... Moonshine is legal in some parts of NC, some with special permits, some without, to my understanding, permits are by the local jourisdiction, not federal. There's some very important and popular people in these local parts that have made great wealth in the moonshine business........ you'd be suprised.

jobe05 said:
Thanks coaster, that close to what I thought I would get based on what was calculated for my last 3 gallon batch, and now adding 33% more Moonshine.
stvr....... Moonshine is legal in some parts of NC, some with special permits, some without, to my understanding, permits are by the local jourisdiction, not federal. There's some very important and popular people in these local parts that have made great wealth in the moonshine business........ you'd be suprised.

FYI: I have no issues whatsoever regarding the use of moonshine, legal or the other! My reaction was the scope; i.e. 3 quarts of 199 proof into 6 gallons. Strawberry CoolAid or Freshie might be a whole lot less work and effort and produce similar results.

Pure alcohol moonshine? Is that possible? How many runs through a still does that take? Even everclear is 75-95%. Is this stuff from corn or grain or does it even matter at that point?

95% is the limit without special equipment. If it shows higher than that, it may contain early boil toxics. 190 everclear is a safe bet. Should have an ear of corn on the front of the bottle. Cat Daddy may make one on the east coast. we don't get them here very often. Our state is pretty weird compared to most.

Next time I go out there, I'll take a picture of the operation. They produce 10's of thousands of gallons of this stuff weekly. It is sold as racing fuel, and can only be shipped legally and sold when mixed (ruined) with gasoline. Tanker trucks come and haul this stuff away from huge tanks that are covered with a foam system in case of fire, explosion. It is made from the yeast used in the beer industry. Once all alcohol is extracted, the yeast is dried in a dryer (silo)that is heated with the exhauste of 4 Jet engines, then the remaines sold to dog food makers. It's a huge operation, and there are several of them legaly set up accross the country, and it's a big money business.

Back