Other Heron Bay Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I started a 15L Heron Bay Pinot Grigio kit 9-30-08 and bottled it today. Turned out very nice, clean crisp with hints of apple and a little nutty on the finish. (Those are Gina's words...
smiley2.gif
)

20081231_170907_IMG_0165_Small.JPG

20081231_171103_IMG_0170_Small.JPG

30 full bottles,a 375 mil,and a nice big glass left over.
smiley4.gif

Wish I could say I was enjoying that glass as I write this, but Gina arm wrestled me for it and won.
smiley19.gif
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif

I've tried a couple of Heron Bay Wines and they have been excellent, especially for the price. I'll keep this one in mind when I start running low on my whites.
VPC

I havent ventured into Celar Craft or heron Bay yet but have nothing but good things about them so Ill take your word for it.

My Cellar Craft kits have turned out well. The reds need more time (so whats new) but I think they maybe some of the best. The whites are also really good. I got lucky with Heron Bay and got the Australian Riesling on sale for $38 for a 4 week kit and it is fantastic. I've done 1 red a cab/merlot and its close to a year in the bottle so we'll be tasting it in a couple of months. The ones that I did not like and it maybe because I'm not fond of the style but the fruit wines.
VPC

K&GB, how long did you age it in the carboy and how many times did you rack it to get it where there was no sediment in the bottom of the carboy, it looks fantastic its so clear.

I racked and stabilized this wine on 10-15-08, so it only bulk aged 2-1/2 months. The kit came with Super Kleer which I alsomixed in on 10-15. Racked again on 10-25 and again 11-15. At that time there was only a light dusting of sediment. I racked it into a primary today for bottling but there wasn't any sediment left in the carboy.

thanks for the info. I just added clarifier and stabilizer to my wine expert yakima valley pinot gris a few days ago and it seemed like it wasn't clarifing very fast but I am probably being too impatient.

Here's a pic of the finished product.

20090412_172309_IMG_0347_Small.JPG

Not my favorite at this point, probably needs a bit more age. Good with food!

Yesterday was indeed a busy wine day. During WTI, which lasts five weeks, I have exactly three days off. Last Sunday, my first day off, I racked nine wines with the help of my inlaws. Yesterday, again with their help, I started the Amarone and Gruner Veltliner, labeled the blueberry and Chenin Blanc, and put shrink wrap closures on the Pinot Grigio, Gewurtztraminer, Chenin Blanc, and Blueberry. So next Sunday is my last day off until May. If all goes well, maybe I'll get something done around the house istead of tinkering with wine all day...lol.

Wow Ken, that is a great looking bottle. Your description of your wine workload exhausted me so... I think I'll go have a glass of wine!
smiley36.gif
Have a good evening.

Back