HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
The local Pastor came to me and asked me to make wine for his sons wedding. Of course, I couldn't say no, I would go to **--! Anyway, He choose three wine kits, I got them ordered through George and,,,, timing is comeing to an end.The wedding is July 11th. The wine will be ready to bottle June 28th and July 1st. He has now told me that he is leaving July 2nd for the out of town wedding. "PRESSURE"

Can Iadd Sparkloid today June 25thto add in the clearing and be ready to bottle by July 1st, oris there another way to get the clearing ASAP!!!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

These of course are the quick Breezin wines, completed in 28 days.

Please help!!!!
Janet

Janet, if these came with Kieselsol and Chitosan for clarifiers they will clear faster than sparkoloid will. You could probably even fudge a couple of days with these clarifiers and be O.K. My wife just did three of these kits, they were pretty clear after only a couple of days of adding the clarifiers.

No pressure!
Are they finished except for clearing? I don't think you will have a problem unless they get stubborn and decide not to clear. July 1 was your target date for bottling anyway. You may want to filter as well.
VC

The strawberry white wine isn't clearing asI feel itshould, yes, i have one week left, but it is still hazey! I'm nervouse since this is their first choice in the wine for the wedding, and it really needs to be clear. I haven't purchased a filterer, and so is there another home remedy to help out by filtering?
I may be jumping the gun, but I really hate the last minute flaws! I'd rather be ready than a spur of the moment thing. I would think it would have been pretty clear by now.
Thanks!

You could try the coffee filter method - may take a while. If you can chill it that may help as well.
VC

Coffee filter!
Now, what would happen if I would put the 6 gallon carboy in an ice cooler with ice? Would that be to cold?? It would only be about 1/2 covered with ice and then I could cover it with a towel, or 1/2 water and 1/2 ice? As you can see I'm desperate!

How big a difference in temps? I have no idea if it will work or not or if the change would be too much for the carboy. Perhaps some others will chime in later today. I know you are in a hurry but I live in Florida and the only thing cool around here is ....... well nothing is cool around here right now and I have never used the chill method. I would consider calling George he may have some ideas.
VC

I took your suggestion VC and made a phone call. I was told that Superclear should do the trick in 2 days. Thanks for your suggestions, it always helps to ask when in doubt. GREATLY APPRECIATED! :)

Don't chill it at this point- that could create additional haze that could take even longer to clear. Use the SuperKleer and it should be fine. They plan on drinking it right away anyways so it should be fine. You can always blame the caterers if the wine isn't served clear
smiley2.gif

Check craigslist.org in your area for a filter. I got a mini jet filter for $40. It was like new.

Back