Help with numbers from Lanza Vineyard grapes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are the numbers my wife and I came up with.

Cab-PH=3.7 Brix=24 T.A.=.375
Petite- PH=3.6 Brix=24 T.A.=.375

The T.A was measured with a basic kit by Country Wines. The PH was measured with a Hanna Phep and I'll be honest I used a hydrometer to measure the (SG) and converted it to Brix. The brix was consistent with other measurements obtained from other central Texas wine guild members.

The question I have is regarding acid. Isn't the TA low at .375 with the PH within a normal range.

Suggestions for adjustments?

Thank you all!

Petite- PH=3.6 Brix=24 T.A.=.375

The T.A was measured with a basic kit by Country Wines. The PH was measured with a Hanna Phep and I'll be honest I used a hydrometer to measure the (SG) and converted it to Brix. The brix was consistent with other measurements obtained from other central Texas wine guild members.

The question I have is regarding acid. Isn't the TA low at .375 with the PH within a normal range.

Suggestions for adjustments?

Thank you all!

I have to wonder if your NaOH is off, Buffers are off...... Calculation is off.

Something is off!

Double check you calculations, check batteries ,check buffers, then add acid if all else fails.

I crushed Lanza Cabernet and had pH around 3.3 and TA around. 84. I'm going to buy new chemicals my next trip to the store because I thought those were off. I'm inclined to think your numbers are incorrect as well.

Joea,

PH of 3.3 and TA of .08 makes sense.

PH=3.6 Brix=24 T.A.=.375 does not make sense.

It looks like the Brix and PH agree. I would expect a slighly high PH with a brix of 24.

Glowin is correct. I would bet money on your TA test being off. I would check the age of your chemicals, check your math, and re-read the instructions to make sure that you are doing everything correctly.

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I believe the ph and the brix are correct and the acid test kit isn't. I really appreciate all of the input.

Back