Help What is this growth, should I be concerned?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhorn

Reaction score
I am a newbie - made a couple kits and now am striking out to try and learn more. Hopefully one of the experts on here will recognize what I am seeing and be able to tell me it's ok, help me fix it, or explain what is wrong so I can learn and start over.

I am trying a 1 Gal batch of Cranberry-Cutie Wine (Cranberry-Clementine). Things went pretty well through the primary, I racked to secondary and now I have a "growth" in the wine that I am not sure if I should be concerned with. I will try and answer all the basics up front, but if I miss something please ask me for what you need.....

All equipment was washed with PBW and sanitized with Star-San everytime I worked with the wine.

12/20/13 - boiled the sugar, cranberries and clementine peels, added wine chemicals per recipe
12/21/13 - added raisins, and 1/2 pkt of rehydrated Red Star Montrechet yeast. Starting SG was 1.094 Set lid loosly on top of primary, but did not snap shut
12/22/13 - SG: 1.091 stirred must, squeezed fruit bag
12/23/13 - SG: 1.091 stirred must, squeezed fruit bag
<<missed checking my SG for a couple days due to illness/holidays>>
12/27/13 - SG: 1.013 stirred must, squeezed fruit bag
12/29/13 - SG: 1.001 - discarded fruit bag. racked into 1 Gal jar. Added air lock.
12/30/13 - observed small spots of "oil slicks" on top of must in jug - could this be from orange peels/cranberries/??
1/1/13 - SG: .993 -- seeing a "growth" in top 1/3 of jug. I can see small bubbles rising to the surface from the edges of the mass like it may be fermenting.
1/4/13 - The growth is still in place - got a picture to post and ask for help...

Crancutie-growth_20140103.jpg

Unfortunately I have no idea but had to make a comment.

Excellent note taking. I wish I was that diligent with my notes.

my first thought is a wild bacteria growth. I would suggest racking the wine by getting below the growth with a racking cane. then check for odors. if bad throw away. if no bad orders add so22and keep fingers cross that it does not return

If you had that same wine in a bucket, it would like it was just a fermentation cap...i think its not done fermenting.....
pretty weird looking in a jug ...

Krypton - my notes actually have a little more info that his (ie. room temp, must temp, my impressions on color and/or smells ....) I am what some have labeled anal - served my well in the 20+ years I worked in the IT industry.

James - no clearing agents or sorbate. This was just moved from primary to secondary and hasn't reached the point of wanting to clear or stabilize yet.

All - I did some further looking on the Internet the other night and came up with Jack Keller's site and descriptions -- what he describes as Lactic Acid Bacterium seems to go somewhat along the lines of what I think I see (though he has no pictures to confirm). I take this from the presence of "oil" spots on the surface of the must around racking. And also the growth looks to be like a cross between egg whites and bread dough floating there. My other thought was that the yeast is still working/growing (bread dough hint again).

I have not noticed any smells.... Thanks all for your feedback - will let you know and see what I can get....

Latest posts

Back