Help--stabilized my juice twice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreoman

Reaction score
I was stabilizing and degassing several carboys at once and got confused. I ended up stabilizing one white juice twice. Am I going to run into any problems? Should I do anything ? Thanks

I think the term "stabilization" means different things to different people. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you give us some more information? What did you add? How much? To what size carboy?

GreginND said:
I think the term "stabilization" means different things to different people. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you give us some more information? What did you add? How much? To what size carboy?

I think in this case it means the wine was still fermenting when it was stabilized.

You can keep the wine cold (near freezing) while stabilizing. It may not be ideal but it may keep the wine from re-fermenting before the stabilizers take effect.

I stabilized at 0.992--added 1tbsp of kmeta and 1/4 tsp of K sorbate I will now let it sit for 2-3 months with a racking during that time. It is a 6 gallon carboy.

I seriously hope you mean 1 TSorbate and 1/4 tsp kmeta and not the other way around. because that would be quite a kmeta overdose, I think.

Last edited:
If it tastes and smells fine, I don't think you'll have any problems. Too much sulfite will give that sharp sulfite odor. That can be dissipated with a bit of aeration (splash racking). The sorbate can be a problem as you can't do much about it if there is enough to taste. It has sort of a bubble gum taste. Hopefully it is low enough not to taste.

I'm curious. Are you planning to sweeten this before bottling? If it will not be sweetened there is no need for the sorbate.

Thanks for the reples. I have tasted it and so far so good. And yes I am back sweetening it-- hence the sorbate. Now to just wait and see.

I had one that was stuck. I had to stabilize again. I did the Kmetta and splashed racked!! Do not do the sorbate again.Its can make your wine undrinkable!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back