help on E.M. on Sangiovese grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzuffi

Junior
Reaction score
hey guys, first post...thanks in advance for your input.

I've been making wine for a few years, mainly from fresh juice that I got from the local wine making shop. Has been coming out great for years and I decided to switch to crushing/pressing my own grapes last year. Its been fun so far.

Last year I made 100% Grenache, but it is too light and fruity for my liking, so I added brandy to it to try and convert it to a port, but came out horrible tasting. I'm still bottled it in hopes one day it might taste decent enough to drink It was only 6 gallons, so it doesn't bother me too much.

So this year I went with 100% Sangiovese grapes because I am a big Brunello fan and I've been successful making this from fresh juice in the past. Crushed and fermented in food grade buckets (primary) until dryness, but the color just wasn't there, so I started investigating extended maceration (which I heard was good for big reds).
I decided to go for broke and try EM. I do not have a CO2 regulator, so I can not pump in CO2. I currently keep a saran wrap directly over the must to seal out any O2, plus add another layer of saran wrap to the top of the bucket and use the sealed bucket top (with another layer of saran wrap on top).
I know that I should really use CO2, as recommended by most people for EM, but I have heard of others that have been successful without using CO2.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone else here been successful with EM without using CO2?
2. What are the early warning signs that tell me I have too much O2 entering the dry must/juice?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Keep It Cool

I've not tried EM, but understand keeping it cool is important. Keep it punched down and over pump to reduce the risk of bacterial contamination.

Choice of yeast will also improve the color so I understand.

Regarding CO2, any chance you could drop a bit of dry ice in there. Dry ice is frozen CO2. Just a thought. This would keep it cold and provide a bit of gas.

Best of luck with your wine.

Paul

You need to keep the grapes cooled to below about 60F.
You should also make sure you gave the must an initial dose of KMeta - about 25 to 50 PPM.

If you can get a hold of some dry ice, it will keep the grapes cool and provide the needed CO2. Make sure it is clean dry ice.

You can also freeze gallon jugs of water, sanitize them really well, and submerge them in the must.

Early warning signs are that fermentation has started with native yeast, which is already in the must.
Signs of this are that around the sides, where the must is a bit warmer, bubbling and fizzing has started.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the dry ice. I've been keeping it in the basement, which is around 65 degrees, so I'll make sure I move it to a colder location.

I've been doing EM since I reached dryness about 5-6 days ago. I haven't noticed any additional bubbling or fizzing yet since dryness, except the small amount of bubble when I punch the cap down into the juice every 2-3 days. Hopefully native yeasts have not taken hold and all is well. I will add some Kmeta tonight and try pick up some dry ice.

Any idea how long a block of dry ice would last? I guess I wouldn't need that much, just enough to cool the batch and create some CO2, right?

For EM, I have read that I should wait until the must drops into the juice. Is that true, or is there another way to gauge when I should stop EM and press??

~Rob

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the dry ice. I've been keeping it in the basement, which is around 65 degrees, so I'll make sure I move it to a colder location.

I've been doing EM since I reached dryness about 5-6 days ago. I haven't noticed any additional bubbling or fizzing yet since dryness, except the small amount of bubble when I punch the cap down into the juice every 2-3 days. Hopefully native yeasts have not taken hold and all is well. I will add some Kmeta tonight and try pick up some dry ice.

Any idea how long a block of dry ice would last? I guess I wouldn't need that much, just enough to cool the batch and create some CO2, right?

For EM, I have read that I should wait until the must drops into the juice. Is that true, or is there another way to gauge when I should stop EM and press??

~Rob

Wait! Wait! I got cold soaking mixed up with post fermentation maceration.
Sorry about the mistake. Mostly everything I told you was completely wrong!

You have left the skins on the wine post fermentation, right? Yes, keep it covered. Cooler temperatures are still best, but 65F is OK. It should not start fermenting again because there is no sugar left, so forget about that. Your issue is how to protect the wine before pressing it and starting clearing.

You should be checking for off odors coming from the wine. Make sure you don't get any. If you do, stop the EM immediately and press off the skins and add Kmeta. Red wines setting on the lees too long can develop off odors and flavor

Yes, add your Kmeta; forget the dry ice. Man! I feel bad about this!

Once you add the Kmeta and you are finished EM, continue with the normal steps for your wine type.

So hey Robie, where/when do the words "extended maceration" look like "cold soak"? :slp

EM is somewhat beneficial for big reds like Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and the like, but I wouldn't consider Sangiovese to be overly "big" for a red grape variety. They are nice enough grapes, but they can be lacking the tannin structure to make them "Big", so to speak.

Usually, the Extended Maceration is not to get more color... honestly. It is used to break down certain tannins to allow the wine to actually soften. I know this sound contrary to what one might think but long skin time let's some of those tannins become broken down and combined during the longer time. If anything, it might lessen the color a bit.

You might be better to ferment a very heavy red variety, just a small amount, and blend it into your Sangiovese wine. I don't know how mature your grapes were when you started. That would make a lot of difference. Find someone around your neck of the woods that is growing Chancellor or such and ferment just a small amount of that and add to the wine. You might be well surprised at the color intensity and still have the characteristics of the original grape.

A word of caution. If you start to smell anything like fingernail polish, such as acetone smell, you are on the verge of creating acetylaldehyde (sp) and that is the first step to vinegar.

Latest posts

Back