WineXpert help needed for 1st time winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headgirl79

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

1st time winemaker here and I don't think i've got it completely right - even though I followed all the instructions!?!

I have the chardonnay kit and today should have been bottling day according to my instructions - however the wine has not cleared fully yet, although I can see a definite improvement from what it was.

I have also had a sneaky taste of my wine and it doesn't appear to be very strong and tastes a little watery.

Can anyone please tell me what I can do to sort these problems out please??

Thanks!

what kind of kit is it? The instructions give a guideline but you need to vary it a bit from time to time.
Did you degas properly? You realyneed to stir the heck out of it!!!
Also I found that if you leave it in a cooler place it clears faster...give it time it will be fine

Hi

I used the stirrer you attach to a drill and really whipped it for ages until it stopped foaming. By cooler do you think moving it outside would be ok??

While i've got your attention, do you know how to make the wine stronger by any chance? Only it does taste weak compared to what i'd expect it to be like?

Thanks for the tips!
Di.

Welcome headgirl79. There are a lot of variables out there. The less expensive kits tend to be thinner that the more expensive kits- generally because they use more juice and less water. What brand is it? A full bodied wine should have a specific gravity of about 1.090- what was yours at the beginning(if you took it)? Like chevyguy said, the timeframe of the instructions is a generalization and can vary somewhat. If it is too thin for your taste, you could get some oak cubes and add them the the carboy and let it bulk age a bit more. That would let it clear up and get a little oak into the wine to add a few tannins etc. That would add complexity to the wine and might make the mouth think it was a little fuller bodied.

Good luck-and don't rush to bottle based soley on number of days.

Hi there!
Its a Wine Expert kit. It says Chai Maison Chardonnay Kit.
It has a nice taste, but it just tastes a little thin and watery.

The specific gravity at the start was just under 1.090.

Sorry to sound thick but just to clarify, I get some oak cubes and add them to the carboy as it is now and just leave it to do its stuff? Would I need to filter it after this or just siphon it into another carboy??

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get it right as I'm really enjoying doing it!

Thanks
Di.

Dont be sorry for the questions as this is why we are here. If you have
a lot of sediment(Lees) than I would rack into another carboy(Glass)
leaving the sediment behind. If you only have one carboy then you can
rack into the bucket and clean out the carboy and then rack back into
the carboy. Then add your oak cubes.I would use cubes as you will not
have to filter as you would if using chips or dust. You can oak it
while letting it finish clearing. The kits usually clear really nice
and really fast but once in awhile you get a stubborn one that will
take a little longer. Welcome to this forum 79. Enjoy!

headgirl79, you will also find that the flavor and nose will improve in complexity with time. There are still a lot of chemical reactions taking place, and a kit wine does not usually develop to full flavor in less than 6 months (even the lower end kits). The high end kits often take a year or more to fully develop the flavor.

79, my advice to you if you like this hobby is to get this batch and
maybe another maybe midrange kit under your belt for earlier
drinking then start a high end kit so that you can start aging it now.
As Peter says, the high end kits really need some good time under them
but are well worth the money. As far as making the wine stronger at
this point if your talking about upping the alc. content you can add a
little Everclear Grain alc. to it. Adding sugar or juice that does not
contain any preservatives such as sorbate or benzoate at the beginning
or while still fermenting is a way of upping the alc but will void the
warranty. Since you are in the clearing stage it is to late to do
anything with this batch but add alc to it.

It sounds like you're doing just fine. The oak sounds like a great idea and age should certainly improve the wine. Racking it an extra time or two while bulk aging will help clear any stuborn lees. Don't rush it to the bottle.
Feel free to keep asking questions. The reassurance is good when you feel like you just must be doing something wrong. You're doing fine!

The Chai Maisson is the low end of the Winexpert line and will tend to be "thin". If you want a more full bodied wine, you will need to step up to a Vintner's Reserve or better yet a Selection kit.
BTW, the Chai Maisson line is not available in the U.S.

Well another one heres the first batch and i can feel a 2nd one coming
and yes these wines need time in the bottle and they do like it. You will start noticeing the 7.5 ltt 13 16 ltr kits. I have settled in on 13 ltr produce a pretty good wine i also top up after racking with plain white or red that i have made for that purpose. this keeps the favor up as well. and extra time for clearing is no problem dont let airlock dry out either if extra time is needed. And welcome to the best hobby there is and a very good forum lots of good people and information in here

Back