Help me select my winery equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stutzcattle

Junior
Reaction score
We are in the process of getting our winery/nanobrewery up and going. We plan to start construction this June and are looking for our equipment. I'm planning on starting with all poly tanks and upgrading as the business generates the cash to buy stainless. We're looking for input on pumps, filters, bottle fillers, presses, sanitation(we're leaning very strongly towards ozone), and all the other equipment we'll need to get going. I want quality equipment, but I'm not the "showy/extravagant" type. I just want it to work every time.

I really appreciate all the people that make this forum work so well and am looking forward to any advice/input you all can give us.

We're growing our own grapes, but will have to buy grapes/juice the first couple years.

It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what scale of production you are targeting. How many cases do you plan to make in your first year? What is your growth plan? How many different varieties and what size batches? I think the choice of equipment and tanks depends a lot on that.

I addition to what the others said, are their other wineries in the area? Are they willing to talk to you and help? There's a lot of wineries in my area and most of them are more than happy to help new wineries get started. The more GOOD wineries you have in the area the better you'll do in drawing in more tourists. If you don't have anyone in the area then you might want to seek out a consultant. Many wine supply companies including Presque Isle would offer those services.

We're the only winery within about 40 miles. I do have a few wineries that I'm working with and they have offered me a ton of good info and advice. We are going to make 2000 gallons this year with a planned scale up to 5000 gallons in 5 years. Pretty small, I know, but wine is just starting to catch on here in Nebraska.

Let's say that your business plan says that you have to sell 360 cases to break even for the year. Let's say that you had a line on stainless VC tanks for about $5G which will get you 2 600L, 2 400L, 2 300L, 2 250L and a stainless 4 port bottler. What else would you recommend?

Let's say that your business plan says that you have to sell 360 cases to break even for the year. Let's say that you had a line on stainless VC tanks for about $5G which will get you 2 600L, 2 400L, 2 300L, 2 250L and a stainless 4 port bottler. What else would you recommend?

Bill, first off thats less than twice the amount many of us make at home with carboys. I personally don't like ss tanks under 600l and wouldn't buy most of them. Why is the guy selling them? Are you positive the tanks or the lids are not warped? It happens easily and once it happens, you're cursed forever. There was another member on here who wanted one pretty bad and finally bought it. Within months he was trying to sell it. What are you using for racking, pressing, crushing, corking? How are you going to cold stabilize? Do you have TTB approved test equipment yet? Have you worked with a company to design and print labels yet or think about the kind of applicator you're going to use? There are plenty of classes for start up wineries in the area, have you looked into any of them or attended any workshops?

Dan, these tanks are being sold as the this winery has expanded and needs bigger tanks for what they will produce, This winery started as a home winery and has outgrown that and expanded onto 10 acres with estate grown grapes.

I've attended classes at HCC (recommended by Sam and taught by Bob Green). I'm still shopping for an ebulliometer, I have an outlet on reputeable lab, have money set aside for a 120 volt stainless pump, have a graphic artist working on labels to meet TTB reqs. We will source juice initially from PA, but may have to reach out to Walker's in bulk also. The winery will be small and only grow as funds and demand permit. we will hand bottle.

Plus at 360 cases, thats 840 some gallons, which is over the 200 that you can legally make as a home wine maker....

Last edited:
Bill, I knew you took classes and posted that for others to see. Bob green is also a perfect consultant. You should also consider taking classes through Penn State as they are offered. It's a great place to network with other wineries.

Dan, how do you get on the PSU mailing list for those classes? bob had told us about a Sensory class at PSU, but I'd like to try to make some others.

Are you going to the Winemakers Magazine conference in VA? I'm considering it as I can stay at a relative's place very close to the site. I have to manage the time off of work...

Dan, how do you get on the PSU mailing list for those classes? bob had told us about a Sensory class at PSU, but I'd like to try to make some others.

Are you going to the Winemakers Magazine conference in VA? I'm considering it as I can stay at a relative's place very close to the site. I have to manage the time off of work...

This is the address, http://extension.psu.edu/enology/events and you can get on the mailing list from there. The next class is going to be held at the Cornell Research Center not far from Walkers. You absolutely should take the Sensory class. I've gone the last two years.

I decided not to go to the Winemakers Magazine Conference as we have a large event going on at the winery that weekend.

Another source of information is a book by Bruce Zoecklein called Winery Planning and Design.

This is the address, http://extension.psu.edu/enology/events and you can get on the mailing list from there. The next class is going to be held at the Cornell Research Center not far from Walkers. You absolutely should take the Sensory class. I've gone the last two years.

I decided not to go to the Winemakers Magazine Conference as we have a large event going on at the winery that weekend.

Thanks Dan.

If your near NW Missouri in your part of the state then you are welcome to come to my winery to look and talk about start up. There are a lot things to consider. I started three years ago. Its a bit overwhelming at first but with proper planning, you can keep your stress level to a minimum. Ladoga Ridge Winery

Bill, first off thats less than twice the amount many of us make at home with carboys. I personally don't like ss tanks under 600l and wouldn't buy most of them. Why is the guy selling them? Are you positive the tanks or the lids are not warped? It happens easily and once it happens, you're cursed forever. There was another member on here who wanted one pretty bad and finally bought it. Within months he was trying to sell it. What are you using for racking, pressing, crushing, corking? How are you going to cold stabilize? Do you have TTB approved test equipment yet? Have you worked with a company to design and print labels yet or think about the kind of applicator you're going to use? There are plenty of classes for start up wineries in the area, have you looked into any of them or attended any workshops?

Yeah those vv tanks are interestng to deal with, i did want to sell it, but once i got a reliable lid gasket, i like using the tank now. Now im just trying to maintain my so2 while wine is in it. So the tanks arent a bad thing, ya just need to be willing to work some bugs out of it. But then again you plan to open a winery, not just make homemade wine.

Back