HELP ME PLEASE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandish

Junior
Reaction score
smiley11.gif
HII AM HAVING TROUBLE I AM VERY NEW TO WINE AND I JUST BECAME A SERVER IN A NICE RESTERAUNT AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK KNOWLEDGLEY ABOUT WINE I HAVE A LIST COULD SOMEONE HELP ME OUT A LITTLE PLEASE PLEASE

PINOT GRIGIO, BELLA SERA, ITALY
MONTEPULCIAN D'ABRUZZO
RIESLING, SAINT M, GERMANY
PINOT GRIGIO, ECCO DOMANI, ITALY
PINOOT GRIGIO, ESTANCIA
COPPERIDGE CHARDONNAY
KENDALL JACKSON CHARDONNAY
TOASTED HEAD CHARDONNAY
CLOS DU BOIS RESERVE
MERLOT ECCO DOMANI ITALY
SANGIVESE MERLOT BLEND SANTA CRISTINA ITALY
PINOT NOIR KENDALL JACKSON
SANGIOVESE MERLT CABERNET BANFI CENTINE, ITALY
MERLOT BLACKSTONE
CHIANTI GABBIANO DOCG ITALY
CABERNET SAUVIGNON COPPERIDGE
CABERNET SAUVINGNON MONDAVI WOODBRIDGE
CHIANTI DUCAROSSA RISERVA DOCG ITALY
SYRAH, WENTE VINEYARDS
ZINFANDEL, RAVENSWOOD VINTNERS BLEND
MERLOT WENTE CRANE RIDGE RESERVE
MERLOT CLOS DU BOIS ALEXANDER VALLEY RESERVE
CHIANTI BANFI RISERVA, DOCG ITALY
CABERNET SAUVIGNON TRINCHERO FAMILY
CHIANTI RUFFINO DUCALE RISERVA DOCG ITALY
CABERNET SAUVIGNON FRANCIS COPPOLA

I AM TOTALLY CLUELESS ABOUT WINE I THINK I MIGHT BE IN A LITTLE OVER MY HEAD ON THIS JOB LOL BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET
icon_smile_big.gif
icon_smile_big.gif

Try this web site...

http://www.wineloverspage.com/lexicon/

It actually has MP3 files that will teach you to pronunciate the names of the wine correctly. This has been my struggle...being a Texan puts me at a disadvantage (I still pronounce CHIANTI, CHEE-ANT-EYE
smiley9.gif
).

when in doubt, recommend the Francis Coppola Cab... he doesn't make a bad wine EVER!!!!

if you asked for a recommendation, ask the party what types of wine they like: Red or White, Sweet or Dry

and tell them the oldtradition ofwhite with chicken/fish, red w/ pasta and meat is a bad wine cliche' and they should get a type of wine they enjoy first and foremost....

then i would sort through the list putting whites on oneside from sweet to dry and do the same with the reds.... however, looking at the list (and most restaraunts organize them this way) your list looks like it could possibly be in that order.... if you sever the list between the whites and reds...

my limited knowledge is that Kendal Jackson is a cheap but very good value wine for non-wine snobs... inexperienced wine party, young couple on a date and want a wine to order cheap but good (KJ is an answer, not sure if they like red or white, give them a Pinot Noir)a red that still has refined qualities but not too dry... Syrah is the new yuppie (fashionable) wine thats "in" and merlot is "out" .... the Sangiovese is the same a a Chianti, usually dry, but mixed with the Merlot, sounds very promising... Mondavi is a recognizable name, but it is an $8 bottle, so i'd steer them clear because you probably charge $20, and you don't want them to find it in a wine store and get upset you recommended an $8 bottle of wine.... hope thats a little help

also Ravenswood Zin is a nice wine, Ravenswood is known for their Zin's, just expain the difference from a zin and a white zin and the ravenswood vitner's is a strong bodied wine, good flavors, but strong tones...

Zinfindel is a great red wine making great, especially in California, and people tried to make it bigger and bolder, so as the skins were soaking, they would drain off excess juice, so the juice left would be that much fuller and better... the off product would then get thrown into a fermenter, as too not waste anything, but had a lighter color, since it did not ferment in the skins, and that by product juice is known as White Zinfindel, a sweeter summer wine that still has the strawberry fruits of its big brother... it is considered a "lesser" wine because it is a by product, but it is probably one of the most popular wines today, and cheap... great chilled on hot summer days!!!

Back