Help me choose a grape to grow here in Alabama

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have decided to plant one grape vine here in North Alabama. If I am going to call my winery Jade Lake Vineyards, I need to have at least one vine outside my cellar! I really don't expect to produce an amount to make wine.

I am guessing I would do better with a muscadine variety but I am not opposed to growing something else that will grow here.

I was thinking I would sink two fence posts about 6 feet from each other and have a wire between them for a vine. I don't have a lot of space. The more I think about it, I may build a small grape arbor, Say 4x6 or 4x8. As usual with me, I see "project creep" coming up!

The area I can use gets morning sun through afternoon sun until about 4 or 5 pm.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Well I got a little anxious so I called a grower and bought 2 carlos and 2 noble muscadine vines. I think they are two year old vines.

I have ordered 2 vines of noble Muscadine and 2 vines of Carlos. I was thinking of having two trelllis', 12 to 20 feet each with a vine at each end. The trellis position will be like an inverted L shape. Here is a diagram. I do not have exact scale. The area gets morning sun through tall trees. It gets pretty much full sun from 10 until about 6 in the summer.

I plan on having the carlos vines running north south and the Noble running east west. I have to do that due to the fact I need access for my truck in the backyard sometimes. I could have both trellis run east west but I don't think I could have trellis' run north south.

The end of one trellis will be about 4 feet from the end of other trellis. Here is a rough diagram of the plan

grapevineyard_zps51a7f76e.jpg

I plan on sinking a 6 1/2 foot steel fence post on each end and run a wire between them. I will have a fence post in the middle for support. I am going to wine some wood landscape logs to the posts for appearance sake.

If I ran both of them in the same direction, how far apart should the trellis be?

Here is an early morning view of the area, it is to the left. As I said, I think that after 10 or so, it should get good sun until about 6 in the summer.

IMG_1071.jpg

Is that gonna be enough sun?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you get a good 6+ hours of full sunlight in the summer you should be good to go. The more sunlight the better. I have 3 muscadines planted on a double topwire trellis and get more than enough to make 5 gallons of wine. Just remember to trim your plants in the winter.
I really like your view of the lake. Too bad you can't grow something on the arbor you have by the lake.

Some of the more experienced vintners should chime in here but I believe it is best to plant the row in the Norht-South direction, as you show for the "Carlos" variety. I believe this is for better exposure to sun.

If you get a good 6+ hours of full sunlight in the summer you should be good to go. The more sunlight the better. I have 3 muscadines planted on a double topwire trellis and get more than enough to make 5 gallons of wine. Just remember to trim your plants in the winter.
I really like your view of the lake. Too bad you can't grow something on the arbor you have by the lake.

I am going to use a double wire trellis. I understand that you need 20 feet per vine but, since I ordered 4 vines, I will only have 10 feet per vine. Thus, If I use a double trellis, I will split one vine on each end, one for the lower wire and one for the upper wire.

I really don't know if I will make enought grapes for wine but I am just doing it for the heck of it.

Using that arbor would be great but I think my wife wants a flowering vine.

Some of the more experienced vintners should chime in here but I believe it is best to plant the row in the Norht-South direction, as you show for the "Carlos" variety. I believe this is for better exposure to sun.

I would like to grow them both on a north-south direction but I can't. Unfortunately, the more I look at it, I think I will go with an east-west direction for both. I know that is not best for good sun.

thanks for your input.

Using that arbor would be great but I think my wife wants a flowering vine.

Isn't that what a grape vine is?? LOL, Arne.

Here is a pic I took today of one of my muscadine v
ines. They are planted 20' apart and as you can see
they just started to bud out.
9zoyp.jpg

Latest posts

Back