WineXpert HELP--island mist ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieL

Junior
Reaction score
Ok- so I started the Black rasp. merlot on 8/1 and added 7 cups of sugar to make a simple syrup. Everything was going great. Starting SG was 1.08 and temp at 70 degrees. On 8/12 I hit .996 and went on to the next steps to degass and add fpak and clairfying agents. SG was now 1.01. so now I'm suppose to let this sit for a couple weeks. Well, I check on it last night and am seeing a little foam on the top. What does this mean and what should I do???? The temp has been very steady at 70 degrees for the whole time. Any opinons here?
smiley5.gif

You mention adding the F-pack and clearing agents. Did you also add the potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate packages??

Steve

If you did not add the kmeta & sorbate it maybe fermenting. Also take an SG reading that is the best way to find out what is happening.
VC

Yep, sounds like you either forgot or not added enough Sorbate.

I just looked at my spreadsheet and I did addthe metabisulphite and sorbate before adding clearing agents. So now what???

It could be just gas. Degas again. How did you degas? Also, keep an eny on the gravity readings. do one twice a day to see if it refermenting.

How do you know if it is re fermenting? And how to you fix the problem? Will degassing again affect the clearing agents that were already added?

if the gravity changes, goes lower then it refermenting. then just add more sorbate. Dont worry about the clearing right now. It will not hurt. You did transfer into a secondary right?

I am using the V-Vessell on this so there is no transferring needed. I just take off the collection capsule and disgard the sediments. I will take another reading when I get home. I don't think I have any sorbate at home, but I may have another kit with some in until I put in another order. Thank you for all your help. You guys are GREAT!

A few things you should always have extra are;

K-meta

Sorbate

Nutrient

Clearing agents
Yeast good for whites and reds

Latest posts

Back