Help. Gravity going up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFarm

Reaction score
I started a dragon blood recipe Friday night. Pitched yeast Saturday morning. Followed the 15 day recipe to a t. SG started at 1.084. I thought it was low but hopefully the fruit would break down and provide extra sugar. 12 hrs later there was a small layer of foam, all the fruit was floating, and there was a fizzing sound. I took a hydrometer reading to track the fermentation, but the gravity had increased to 1.090. This evening when I checked it there was a solid layer of foam, fizzing, and floating fruit, and the gravity is 1.098! What is going on? Is the fruit breaking down faster than sugars are fermenting? Is this normal?

I won't be to concerned, sounds like it is fermenting. I think your right the fruit is breaking down releasing more sugars.

I would also not rule out that the co2 is pushing the hydrometer up giving an inaccurate reading. If you really want to know the sg then fill your test jar, shake the heck out of it to drive off the co2, and then use your hydrometer to measure sg.

I din't think of the CO2 pushing up on the hydrometer. That makes a lot of sense. I'm just so new that I'm worried everything is going wrong.

Latest posts

Back