Hello from Essex, CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce652

Reaction score
Just found this forum and website and have been watching the how to videos.

Ive been making beer for the past 8 years and have always wanted to try my hand at winemaking. Our house has a huge wine cellar, that we didnt even know about until after the closing. It is empty but Id love to fill it with my own bottles.

Im trying to figure out what I will need to buy since I have so much stuff from homebrewing. I will need to buy a 6 gal carboy but have the buckets, syphons, hoses etc...

I look forward to learning lots here and apologize in advance for the questions which will follow.

Welcome. You will sure find your answers on this forum. I'm a newbie myself so Ican't answer any questions. I'm like you, I have lots of questions.

Welcome Pierce, You will want a corker and I recommend a floor corker as the hand corkers will usually give you problems. The perfect agglomerate corks sold on this site are the best corks available IMO and are at a good price. What a blessing you have to already have a wine cellar and all you have to do is fill it. I am in Ct. also over here in Middlebury and there are a few of us here.

Hi Pierce, welcome to the forum! If you look at what is included in the Wine Equipment Kits that George (our sponsor) has in his catalog, and then make a note of what you don't already have... you'll find everything you need for winemaking.

I'll second what Wade said about both the Floor Corker and the Perfect Agglomerate corks from George - I love my floor corker and also those corks.

Lucky lucky you to have a house WITH a built in cellar. What a bonus!

I will take some pictures and post them when I get a chance. I do need to build racks down there but it stays in the 60's through the hottest of the summer months.

My cellar does too but watch the humidity, I had to put a dehumidifier down there as the humidity will reach pretty high and cause labels and corks to get damp which will rot them or form mold. I run it when it reaches 85% which does raise the temp in there to almost 70 sometimes but thats better then all the labels peeling off and mold forming on all the corks plus my water holing tank is in there which will sweat like a pig which could also be the reason that room gets so humid. Get a humidity monitor to watch it this summer and if needed get a small dehumidifier.

Welcome,
Nice bonus!! I just checked and could not find abonuscellar at my house.
smiley19.gif
I am sure that you will learn to make wine quick,haveing made beer so many years. We will be here when you need us.

Welcome Pierce! I, also, am envious of your wine cellar. Here in north Texas there are no basements and it is a challenge what to do with the wines I've made. Have fun!

Dang! I didn't get a bonus wine cellar in our house either!
smiley19.gif
What a great bonus though! Welcome and don't feel the need to apologize about asking questions, because that is why we're here!

Pierce, welcome to the forum. Nice surprise about your wine cellar!! Fill that puppy up with wines you make here in the future!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back