Hello, finally

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Reaction score
I decided it was about time to say hi and talk a bit about what I've been up to.

I'm Dave, and have been making wines about two years now. My first entry was the wonderfully inexpensive Amazon kits - about $50 each. (You can guess which ones.) Since then I've moved on to juice pails, which I like. Here's a shot of my current bottled wines.

wines.jpg

I think I have a Dutch background - which is why I really like working on wines that cost me less than $5 a bottle!

I enjoy making and improving the tools as much as working on the wines. I really enjoy my vacuum system which I've assembled from ebay purchases and local bigbox hardware store supplies. It isn't as easy as the turnkey systems you can purchase, but it is more fun to me. :h Perhaps I'll include a couple photos of the vacuum system in the next post.

You'll notice the "OH SNYT famous wines" logo on the bottles. "Snyt" is a family nickname (long story). It was originally spelled with an "i" instead of a "y", which may explain where the "Oh" comes from. And I just couldn't resist the subtitle of "famous wines" after reading some of the commercial boys descriptions of their wines.

The more I make, the more I've come to appreciate wines - and the more I've come to appreciate the quality of a wine that a lowly hobbyist can produce.

Thanks to everyone here to shares their ideas and experience!

Thanks, all! The Borolo has lots of promise. And there's an Amarone still in bulk aging. I won't tell you about the raspberry fruit wine I made that went on to ferment in the bottle and blow wine all across my sister-in-laws living room! Fortunately the table caught most of it and not the carpet! Oh the wonderful memories this hobby can make!

Back