Hello everyone, I am a prodical returned to winemaking after many years! Silly to leave it so long!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siesta

Junior
Reaction score
I'm confused by degassing; on the one hand some people say it is important, others say it introduces too much oxygen into the wine. Can anyone enlighten me please?

First a definition, degassing is the removal of the CO2 produced during fermentation that is in the solution that is now your wine. If you do not remove it, your wine will taste fizzy, similar to a nearly flat soda. But, there are (at least) three ways to remove it. 1) Time, it will come out given enough time, most commercial wineries do it this way, the amount of time is somewhere between 1 year and 2 years. 2) Rack using vacuum, some folks rack, then rack again or rack, shake the carboy halfway, I just rack using my allinonewinepump and after the normal for our five rackings, the CO2 is all gone. Neither of those first two ways introduce much oxygen. 3) a wine whip of some sort, or very vigorous stirring. This is what wine kit instructions allude to, it can introduce excessive oxygen, but it can allow you to bottle your wine in the 4-6 weeks that kits indicate.

And welcome back to this wonderful hobby we all share.

Last edited:
First a definition, degassing is the removal of the CO2 produced during fermentation that is in the solution that is now your wine. If you do not remove it, your wine will taste fizzy, similar to a nearly flat soda. But, there are (at least) three ways to remove it. 1) Time, it will come out given enough time, most commercial wineries do it this way, the amount of time is somewhere between 1 year and 2 years. 2) Rack using vacuum, some folks rack, then rack again or rack, shake the carboy halfway, I just rack using my allinonewinepump and after the normal for our five rackings, the CO2 is all gone. Neither of those first two ways introduce much oxygen. 3) a wine who of some sort, or very vigorous stirring. This is what wine kit instructions allude to, it can introduce excessive oxygen, but it can allow you to bottle your wine in the 4-6 weeks that kits indicate.

And welcome back to this wonderful hobby we all share.

Wonderful! Thank you for that full and clear reply. I don't remember dear old CJJ Berry talking about degassing!

I disagree on the word "excessive". I've had kit wines in the bottle for 7 years that were fine, with no evidence of damage from degassing.

Vigorous stirring (I use a drill-mounted stirring rod) to degas immediately produces a LOT of foaming, as the CO2 exits the wine. There is a heavy CO2 layer over the wine that cushions against any oxygen, so I question how much O2 is actually introduced. My practical experience indicates not enough to matter.

While kits call for degassing for quicker bottling, with the CO2 gone, wines clear faster. I find this to be a benefit.

However, if anyone is uncomfortable with degassing, don't do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back