Heat wave impact on harvesting the grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanadh

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have Touriga Nacional grapes that are not harvested yet. Although they are heat tolerate but worried about the impact of this latest heat wave.

We have Touriga Nacional grapes that are not harvested yet. Although they are heat tolerate but worried about the impact of this latest heat wave.
Usually my grapes, tempranillo and Malbec, do pretty well in the heat. This heat wave is taking its toll on the tempranillo. The malbecs are handling it better and I'm no longer worried about my malbecs ripening. I was worried the malbecs wouldn't ripen before colder weather shut them down.

I've also got a few tannats. Any exposed berry is sunburned, but the shaded clusters still look good.

I should be harvesting by the 14th.

Usually my grapes, tempranillo and Malbec, do pretty well in the heat. This heat wave is taking its toll on the tempranillo. The malbecs are handling it better and I'm no longer worried about my malbecs ripening. I was worried the malbecs wouldn't ripen before colder weather shut them down.

I've also got a few tannats. Any exposed berry is sunburned, but the shaded clusters still look good.

I should be harvesting by the 14th.
Where are you located? Did you increase the irrigation?

Where are you located? Did you increase the irrigation?
I'm in salt lake city.

I did start watering and think I should have watered more and started earlier.

In a previous heat wave I put thermometers in the malbecs and tempranillos. Even though they are only 20' apart the tempranillos were 5 degrees warmer. The malbecs are in front of an 8' concrete retaining wall that retains 4' to 6'. I think the wall acts as a heat sink.

The sugar on the tempranillo is getting high, 22 to 25 brix, but they aren't "ripe".
Haven't checked the ph yet, will check it this weekend. I'm going to leave them on as long as the ph doesn't get too high. Malbecs are 16 to 20 brix, the next week of weather looks really good, high 80's in the day, high 50's at night.

I have high hopes, like always ; )

I'm in salt lake city.

I did start watering and think I should have watered more and started earlier.

In a previous heat wave I put thermometers in the malbecs and tempranillos. Even though they are only 20' apart the tempranillos were 5 degrees warmer. The malbecs are in front of an 8' concrete retaining wall that retains 4' to 6'. I think the wall acts as a heat sink.

The sugar on the tempranillo is getting high, 22 to 25 brix, but they aren't "ripe".
Haven't checked the ph yet, will check it this weekend. I'm going to leave them on as long as the ph doesn't get too high. Malbecs are 16 to 20 brix, the next week of weather looks really good, high 80's in the day, high 50's at night.

I have high hopes, like always ; )
Looks like a plan. The weather should improve here too but we are getting the smoke from Mosquito fire. The grapes brix is 25 and ph is 3.3 but they started to shrivel so I think we are done for this season. Hoping for better one next year

I'm in the sierra foothills and have been dealing with I think 8 days straight of over 100 degree days and couple over 110. Most of the commercial guys have been harvesting and I got some Cab from a vineyard down the road. The must was at 25 brix but it did have some green seeds. I have been watering every 3 days, It has kept the vines going but I do have some raisins and I was already looking at uneven ripening due to getting hit by a spring frost. Did a sample of my Barbera and it is at 23 brix without any raisins mixed in but has green seeds as well. I'm going to give it couple of more days and see where it's at. it is suppose to cool down starting tomorrow.

I'm in the sierra foothills and have been dealing with I think 8 days straight of over 100 degree days and couple over 110. Most of the commercial guys have been harvesting and I got some Cab from a vineyard down the road. The must was at 25 brix but it did have some green seeds. I have been watering every 3 days, It has kept the vines going but I do have some raisins and I was already looking at uneven ripening due to getting hit by a spring frost. Did a sample of my Barbera and it is at 23 brix without any raisins mixed in but has green seeds as well. I'm going to give it couple of more days and see where it's at. it is suppose to cool down starting tomorrow.
I think for us it's all done. But we harvested some to make more Amarone although they might be smok tainted but will give it a try

Great to see some Sierra Foothills folks! I’m in Newcastle. All the vineyards I know will be picked this weekend. The heat, smoke, more time isn’t going to make the grapes that are still hanging any better. I’ve got an early morning wake up to help a buddy with a cab franc vineyard, right at 25 brix.
A70354CF-9BDE-491E-9C73-DDFB51A9E308.jpeg
B92D1EA9-80AA-484A-BB7A-1D2EC865C0F8.jpeg

Back