HELP - New Grapevine Grower, Struggling in Texas Heat Wave

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Eagle

Junior
Reaction score
Taking a gamble in '21 I planted 86 vines (70 Sangiovese and 16 cabernet). Last year struggle with disease w/ wet spring. This year the heat and grasshoppers are a battle everyday. I am using Neem Oil or Mineral Oil w/ Garlic for the grasshoppers - both have limited, but not sustained impact. MOST concerned about the heat and really how much do I need to be watering. Considering we are having zero rain. I have a complete drip system in place. Vines are in various states. Seeing yellowing leaves, browning on the edges and in a few cases leaves have started to dry up and fall off. I am now pulling my regular watering schedule and only watering after measured moisture status at 6-10 inches reaches the 'low' range. APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS On recommended watering schedules and how wet/moist you want to keep the soil.leaf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking a gamble in '21 I planted 86 vines (70 Sangiovese and 16 cabernet). Last year struggle with disease w/ wet spring. This year the heat and grasshoppers are a battle everyday. I am using Neem Oil or Mineral Oil w/ Garlic for the grasshoppers - both have limited, but not sustained impact. MOST concerned about the heat and really how much do I need to be watering. Considering we are having zero rain. I have a complete drip system in place. Vines are in various states. Seeing yellowing leaves, browning on the edges and in a few cases leaves have started to dry up and fall off. I am now pulling my regular watering schedule and only watering after measured moisture status at 6-10 inches reaches the 'low' range. APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS On recommended watering schedules and how wet/moist you want to keep the soil.
Should have added - located in CENTRAL TEXAS. Running 100-105 every day with no rain in sight.

Make sure that the water is actually reaching the root ball. We cannot see where the drippers are placed. Run some spaghetti tube (1/4" tubing) from the dripper directly to the base of the vines. I bury a foot length of 5/8" irrigation hose near the root ball when planting vines and then fish the spaghetti tube into that and let it wet the root ball. Water the grape vines deeply once a week, like, for a few hours, if the soil will hold the water.

Moisture meter showing the soil remains moist for a couple of days. The water is getting there for sure. Interesting and challenging how your advice is opposite of the last person suggesting watering every couple of days. The vines seemed to be struggling with too infrequent of watering.

Make sure that the water is actually reaching the root ball. We cannot see where the drippers are placed. Run some spaghetti tube (1/4" tubing) from the dripper directly to the base of the vines. I bury a foot length of 5/8" irrigation hose near the root ball when planting vines and then fish the spaghetti tube into that and let it wet the root ball. Water the grape vines deeply once a week, like, for a few hours, if the soil will hold the water.
I was going to say water deep once a week. Everyday is going to encourage shallow roots, you want those roots going deeper and deeper.

And I've had leaf burn for the first time; I'm watching the chemicals closely now.

Latest posts

Back