Heat control, fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlantk

CAUTION TO THE WIND!
Reaction score
I want to reference another thread here:
http://forum.finevinewines.com//forum_posts.asp?TID=10183&PID=134994#134994

Part of the discussion is about controlling the fermenting heat. Ideal is to be 72 - 78 degrees F during fermenting.
For those using a brew belt, mentioned is turning it on and off as needed.
So my question goes to the direction of thermostatic controlled heating systems.
I have a heat "pad" (not the sore muscle style) that wraps around the fermentor, and the thermostat is placed on the top of the lid, and temp is set for the center of the liquid (must) range between 65 and 95 degrees, and I have run this now for a week trial (water and B Brite) monitoring range daily. Drops to 73 and high is 77, so far. But there is no fermenting so no added heat,
Should I be concerned?
The heating pad is a Biologics, for maintaining process and culture studies, so I figured it would be perfect.
I imagine trial and error here to really know, but this made me curious about the belts,
don't they have a thermostat?

Thoughts opinions and ideas are welcomed..
Tim

The belts dont have a thermostat. They give off a certain amount of btu's and are designed and were tested to under most circumstances keep your carboy full at approx 75* The only problem with them is that when you have a vigorous fermentation in an already room temp or warmer cellar or room that the fermentation ca bring the temp up also which will make the temps exceed the temps we really want. I am not familiar with yours so just watch and monitor your temps for the first time in use.

Wade :)
Thanks
Yes monitor and watch I shall.
I would image if the worst case scenario occurred, High heat, and the poor yeast'ies all got baked, you would stabilize temp and then recast the yeast. ??
Part of my thinking is. I should of gotten a couple belts.......
Hind sight :)

Tim

I use a plain ordinary heat pad. The kind that doesn't shut off. I start it at medium when the fermentation starts. The next day I can shut it off and maintain about 75 degrees from heat of fermentation. When the fermentation slows down, I can maintain about 75 degrees with it set on low until fermentation stops. I have my basement thermostat set at 68 degrees in winter.

The great part about this hobby is that it's very forgiving. If the temps go a little low or a little high you just fix the problem by turning the heat on or off. The main rule of thumb is not to "set it and forget it" as that old infomercial used to say!

You need to babysit your primary and secondary by checking up on the temps and SG on a daily and (for the first week) multiple daily readings of the temp. It only takes a second with one of the temp strips. SG can be checked every few days for the most part.

Once you get to know (and trust) your equipment it will all become a systematic clockwork thing to do.
smiley20.gif

If you have a few carboys then yes youll need a few belts. I would not put more then one on a single carboy.

Thanks for your thoughts here gentlemen.
Yes I figure on babysitting :) thats ok!
I don't think I could do a turn it on n walk away thing, things fail, or learn they have their own minds.
But I shall be investing in a few belts for sure, and more carboys, and...

Preparing to start the first kit tonight!! YAY!
:) thanks

Tim

of course in cold weather climes, a garage floor..or basement floor keeps piping up some cool moderating temps all by itself ...all one needs to do is break up the must cap

Latest posts

Back