Wired up a temperature controller

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
Finally got around to wiring the Amazon bought STC-1000 controller for use to hold lagering temps in the chest freezer. I've read where these are more accurate than the ready to go controllers, and I can't gripe abut the price. I have $27 in the whole deal. I'm just using the cold side but it has a heat side, too, if someone wanted to add another outlet and use it with pads or carboy belts. Have not tried it yet. We'll see what happens.

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

I cut a notch so I could store the temperature probe and lead inside the case for protection when not in use...

IMG_2159.jpg

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
Nicely done. I used the same controller on my wine box, post #31, never skipped a beat for the past 7 years.
Thanks. I remember that thread! Good to know. The controller on my Vinotemp is out (it freezes everything now) and if this works well I will replace it with one of these at $15 vs. $100 for the Vinotemp circuit board. All my beers are gluten free and Wifie is on me to make some more, since she can't have gluten. I imagine this will get tested pretty soon, as she says we are "dangerously low" on my lager. :)

JoP

Reaction score
Interesting
How do you make gluten free beer?

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
Nice looking job!
The price of controllers has come down so much I am surprised everyone doesn’t have a setup.
The ready-made ones are still north of $60. I saved 60% doing it this way.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
The definition of gluten is that it is a protein fraction which isn‘t soluble in ethyl alcohol. I have the choice of extracting proteins and then precipitating with alcohol or extracting the starch granules and using that for beer. ,,,,, not very cost effective, ,,, note product only “reduces”

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
The definition of gluten is that it is a protein fraction which isn‘t soluble in ethyl alcohol. I have the choice of extracting proteins and then precipitating with alcohol or extracting the starch granules and using that for beer. ,,,,, not very cost effective, ,,, note product only “reduces”
It breaks the protein bonds to reduce PPM below federal requirements for "gluten free" labeling. Used commercially. No one is twisting your arm to use it.

One company's tests... They've been testing since 2006...

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 6.04.26 PM.png

Last edited: