Heat belt (primary or secondary)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manitobawineo

Reaction score
I have two kits going right now and only one heat belt. Right now the heat belt is on the kit that is in its secondary fermentation stage. The other kit is just tarted yesterday. Would I be better to have the heat belt on the one that is in primary fermentation or the kit in secondary??

Thanks!

Hi,

New guy to this as I've just started my fourth kit. My instructions say 65-75 degrees for fermentation and make no distinction between primary and so called "secondary". I'd say use your belt however you must to keep both batches within this temperature range during fermentation.

I'm sure the pros will chime in soon and set us both straight.

Last edited:
Mani
Whats the average constant temperature of the room?
What kind of kits?

This time of year in Manitoba, it's hot enough that you shouldn't need any extra heat. In fact, you should probably be trying to cool down the primary.

Measure the temp of the must with a thermometer and tell us what yeast you're using.

If you have to chose between one or the other go with the newest batch first. Once the fermentation gets rolling it creates it's own heat. If your ambient temperature is 68° I wouldn't even bother with it.

If you do need the additional heat from a belt, you can probably get away with using the belt on both at the same time. Just loop it around both and you should have enough contact on both to get the temp up a few degrees if you really need it.
Just be careful with the primary; as Runningwolf says, the fermentation creates its own heat when it gets going good.
Here in Nova Scotia right now I would need a cooling belt!!

Thanks for the help! I am using a Vitners Reserve Diablo Rojo (the one on its 3rd week of 4 right now) and a KenRidge Legacy Pinot Grigio (on day 2)

Thanks again!

On a similar topic, the guy at my wine store told me to keep the temp at around 27-29 C instead of 22-24 C because of the climate/air pressure/etc here. Ever heard of that?

Very curious to hear how the Diablo Rojo turns out. It's on the fringe of the radar screen.

I think this time of year you should be fine temp wise, assuming you are south. Rocky made a comment in the past week or two about not minding a slower ferment in a slightly cooler temp. As always, spot on.

With all respect to Dan, I might opt for the belt on the secondary. The WE kits I've made have been pretty aggressive in the primary and often not a peep as soon as racked to the secondary. Regardless, your hydrometer is your friend here.

Bill C.

I bottled the Diablo Rojo last night. It's pretty good actually. Very easy drinking, slight oak taste, and a bit of sweetness (maybe a 1 or so). I would recommend it for converting people over to red. A good "patio pounder".

Latest posts

Back