Headed For Stuck Ferment???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I may need help soon, so I thought I would get the ball rolling. This past Friday I started 10 gallons of muscadine using 65 lbs of nobles I had kept in the freezer for a couple of months. I used a fairly basic recipe, but I sort of stubbed my toe adding my invert sugar. I have 5 gal with a starting SG of 1.112 and another 5 gal with an SG of 1.122. OK, I know, I know that is really high, so don't beat me up too badly over it.
This morning SG's were 1.042 and 1.046 respectively, so it is moving along nicely. Where I am anticipating a problem is in the yeast I used, Red Star Montrachet. That yeast will tolerate 13-14% alcohol and with my high starting SG's, do you think I may be headed for a stuck fermentation? I have Red Star Premier Cuvee on hand. Should I add some now to try and stave off any problems, or would that work at this stage?
As I said, no problems yet, but I think it may get stuck. If I can give it some help prior to getting to that stage it would be great. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

your starting S.G will yield about a 15-16% potential alcohol so hopefully your yeast will conk out at its designed tolerance 13-14% and you wont have to backsweeten your wine due to the residual sugar left over.

good luck!

Im sorry no one answered this, I never saw it! I would have said to start a Premier Cuvee yeast starter immediately unless you want a slightly sweeter wine. Next time if you dont get an answer bump the thread by politely typing help or something in there. Again, sorry for the no reply. Hope it finished for you.

Wade,

Thanks for the reply. I waited several days for a response, and finally posted the same question on another forum. I got some sound advise there, and I did get the Premier Cuvee going. I left the skins on it for a few more days after adding the new yeast. I don't have my notes handy, but I believe it has been in carboys for about a week now, still bubbling away.
Left to right, 2-5 gal noble muscadine, 3 gal mixed muscadine/scuppernong, 6 gal late harvest riesling.

SSCN1000.JPG

I haven't updated this thread since way back in January, so here is what I did.

I originally started with 2-5 gallon batches with different starting SG's, both pretty high. Both finished at 0.994. Along about the 2nd racking, I decided to blend the 2 for an average starting SG of 1.117, still high, but not too bad. One batch was later back sweetened to 1.014 and one was sweetened to 1.004. After bulk aging for a while, I found the 1.004 batch to be great, but the 1.014 batch was a little too sweet for all of my testers, as well as myself. I decided to blend some samples to try and find the correct sweetness for me. I ended up with a 50-50 mix being just right. So, I wound up with 10 gallons at 1.009, still a bit high on the abv, but I will just have to live with that.

Glad you ended up liking it all. Another forum!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill pretend I didnt hear that unless it was FineVineWines forum which I and many others also run!!!

Latest posts

Back