Head Space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euphio

Reaction score
Looking for a way to reduce the head space in some batches I'm going to be periodically testing while I bulk age them. I know some folks have suggested marbles but I'm worried about just going to the dollar store and buying them there.

Anyone have any links to food grade glass spheres (or other shapes) that could be used? I found some Pyrex balls on McMaster-Carr but they're all very small.

Since glass is an inert substance, I think you are worrying about it too much. For many years, we've been using glass spheres sold in bags and used for decorating clear jars. The only ones we won't buy are the "metallized" spheres. Be sure they are just the glass ones. There's nothing better for topping up because you aren't diluting your wine.

I know that many people use various ways to "take up the extra space" in their carboys and in the beginning, I also used glass marbles. I found this to be a tedious process and over time with the accumulation of carboys, bottles, jugs, etc. that I had over a short period of time, I find that "reducing the container sizes" is more efficient. I go down in carboy size from 6.5 gallon to 6 gallon to 5 gallon with any overage in 1 gallon, half gallon, 1500 ml and 750 ml bottles. I have stoppers and airlocks on everything and use the smaller bottle to top off.

If you PM me your address, I will send you my marbles. My Bride thinks I lost them years ago anyway.

Even tho we do the same thing as Rocky does, sometimes you STILL need some marbles.

Latest posts

Back