head space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
Today i've racked my 3 gallon blueberry wine that i f-pac several weeks ago. I've back sweeten just a little bit as well today however i have about 1/4 of a gallon or less of head space in my carboy. Will this be an issue for oxidation? If so, I don't want to add water to dilute it so should i buy a bottle of blueberry wine to fill it up?

Blueberry wine or blueberry juice. Wine added will not drop your ABV like juice will, and juice will most likely add sugar also. So the wine might be the best choice.

You definitely want to fill that void. That much head space is not good.

I would not use water either or you will water the taste down. Your best bet is to use a like wine to top off with - or a juice of some sort to add a different aroma/flavor in.

If you can't find any blueberry wine, I've used Cabernet to top off my blueberry wine & I though it was quite good. I just blended & bottled a 50/50 mix of blueberry & elderberry 12 bottles & it's great. May call it BLUEL Wine. Also used blackberry brandy to top off. Too many choices, Roy

I happened to find a bottle of blueberry wine in my basement. It was my last one. Everything is good to go! I appreciate everyone's input.

Back