Has anyone made a port wine at 35% ABV?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Tasted this liqueur in the DR, it seems like a combination of tequila and coffee. Very strong but good for a sip after a meal. [emoji4]

ImageUploadedByWine Making1461754420.310474.jpg

It tasted a bit of coffee too. Although I don't drink coffee but the taste was very good.

That is just silver Patron infused with coffee.

"Patrón XO Cafe is an extraordinary blend of ultra premium Patrón Silver tequila and the pure, natural essence of fine coffee. The taste is dry, not sweet as with most low-proof coffee liqueurs. Patrón XO Cafe is excellent for sipping, as a premium cocktail ingredient, or as a unique and delicious dessert topping."

I haven't made a port wine, other than a kit.

And I have been thinking about a higher ABV coffee flavored mead, so maybe this is an idea I can kick around.
Maybe do a straight port, or use 1/2 sugar and half honey

My thoughts so far would be...what is your base? Grape juice? What kind of grapes?
And would you ferment on coffee beans or add to secondary? Or skip the beans and use instant coffee instead?

I would probably backsweet with homemade kahlua that we have, but I suppose you could always use honey or simple syrup.

Obviously this has gotten the mad scientist experimenter in me intrigued, so if you decide to tink around let me know.
Maybe we could have a coffee port-along.

Obviously this has gotten the mad scientist experimenter in me intrigued, so if you decide to tink around let me know.
Maybe we could have a coffee port-along.

LOL.

And maybe a tinker like @joeswine could chime in....:h

Never made it as a port, but there's a very yummy coffee wine that would probably pair well with bourbon for a fortified wine:

Http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=421497

Takes at least 6+ months to age out since it is basically fermented sugar syrup + cold brew coffee.

You can do traditional stabilization as opposed to pasteurization as mentioned in the thread.

Hmm... now I want to make more of this :)

This seems very interesting to make -

a wine of 14% with high tannins
add 20% of 195 proof everclear and let the coffee beans get absorbed thru the everclear prior to adding it to the wine ? Especially good if you added some oak to it as well !

Back