Has anyone here made Fig wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I was just wondering how it came out. Fig wine sounds gross to me but I have a lot of figs this year and if it is an amazing wine maybe I would try it. Any good stories out there?

I am sure it can be done. If you can't find a fig wine recipe under our fruit wine recipe section, check out Jack Keller's site on the internet, he is a fruit wine expert.

Good luck and if you make the fig wine, let us know how it turns out.

just finished bottling a 6 gallon batch a couple weeks ago, set aside in a cool dark nook for aging now. it's great, fermented to dry then backsweetened just a tad. the color is amazing. i was surprized how good it came out as far as taste goes. i used a recipe from ECkraus website. tweeked it a tad by adding more pectic . you'll get alot of seeds floating in the secondary but it can be worked around when siphoning. also had a thick slurry form on the surface in primary but constant stirring during primary fermentation kept things working well
Picture864.jpg

Last edited:
I literally threw this melomel together as I went along and am thrilled with the results. No reason why you could not sub sugar for the honey. I did learn there was no reason to worry about chopping/smashing the frozen,thawed figs--they fall apart on their own if frozen. If your figs are super ripe, you will find you probably will not have to add as much sugar as the recipe calls.

Here is my recipe PER GALLON:

3.5# fresh frozen figs--thawed
2.5# honey
water to 1 gallon
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
Yeast energizer, if needed
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet, initially and then as needed
1 vanilla bean, split
1 Darjeeling black tea bag
5 pieces of candied ginger
1/2" slice lemon 1/2" slice orange
Epernay II(Côte des Blancs) Wine Yeast or D47
Adjust using tartaric acid after ferment is complete, if needed

OG goal 1.085-1.090
Goal Total Acid: .45-6%

Wash figs, remove stems, then freeze overnight until ready to use. Freezing the figs allows in breakdown of the fruit cells, allowing more juice to be produced. Thaw figs prior to use, then chop/smash them & put them in a straining bag which also contains the tea-ginger-orange-lemon-vanilla bean...don't put straining bag in primary just yet. Add 1/2 gallon of boiling water and the honey to your primary, stir until honey well dissolved, then add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the yeast & add the filled straining bag. Place lid lightly on primary and after 24 hours gently squeeze straining bag to express as much juice as possible, set straining bag to the side and top up your primary to 1 gallon mark with additional water, check your S.G. and adjust if necessary, pitch yeast per package dirctions (use yeast energizer if desired) and put straining bag back in primary--may want to weight down with marbles so bag remains submerged. Wait 10 or 12 hours before stirring the melomel. Gently squeeze the straining bag at least twice a day, stir the melomel twice daily. On the 5th day or when SG reaches 1.010 or lower (whichever comes first), strain/press and discard the pulp. Transfer the melomel to carboy and attach airlock. Follow your normal process for racking, stabilizing, backsweetening, etc.

NOTE: Check TA after ferment is complete and adjust as needed with tartaric acid or acid blend. Also, use yeast nutrient and yeast energizer as necessary to help ensure a healthy ferment.

Additional note: At 12 hour mark, chucked in 1 cup of sweet dates that had been chopped, skin of one banana, 2 ripe bananas…all covered with enough boiling water and allowed to make a “date banana soup”, which was strained and added to primary when cooled.

This melomel looks like a golden sherry and I bottled it dry and backsweetened. It has been used by my MIL to baste her seasonal fruitcake, and I have used it to baste my spice cake, added to brownies, splashed in coffee. I enjoy the semisweet version served ice cold and the dry at room temperature. I think when I make this again I will use white grape juice concentrate instead of the banana soup.

Your right about the colour of your wine...it's great! I've only had fig wine once and it was pale and insipid...it's nice to know that it doesn't have to turn out that way.

Latest posts

Back