Harvested too early?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Total newbie here with making wine from grapes. I allowed my marquette vine to grow grapes for the first time this year. I just picked and crushed all of the grapes today. The juice is sort of a green colour. Will it turn red during fermentation? Or did I pick the grapes too early? PH is about 3.5, and SG is 1.090.

Thanks!

Numbers look good enough so I'd say you didn't pick too early. Fermenting on the skins should extract the color.

Thanks! I just have the one vine, so only doing about a gallon of wine. I'm letting the juice sit on the skins/seeds in a pail until I can get some yeast at the store tomorrow morning. That should be okay, no?

Here's a picture of what I got.

Attachments

• 20190922_182252.jpg
    20190922_182252.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
This is the vine's 4th summer. This is the first year I allowed it to produce fruit.

I had 10 Chardonnay vines for 20 years. Lots of work, always spraying something for a fungus or mildew. One year I did get 5 gallons out of them. pulled them out this year. Good luck!!!

Added pectic enzyme, and pitched the yeast about 5 hours ago. Already starting to develop more of a red colour.

Pectic enzymes or the more processed enzymes like Lallemand EX/ EX-V are like magic substance. THey start breaking down the must before the yeast even gets a chance. It will make better wine. It seemed to make good color an body for me within 12 hours. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back