HARDY GRAPE TRAITS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a list of grapes that I am trying [in a small way] and some I wish to try.
This is a list of the facts I have read about these grapes...please add any more traits of these HARDY grapes.

BETA -very hardy -juice, small purple -very disease resistant

VALIANT-extremely hardy-juice and wine [age for 1-2 years] -not disease resistant

KING OF THE NORTH -very hardy -juice and wine -very vigorous plant growth

FRONTENAC -hardy -30*F-wine-pick late to reduce acid -late ripening, will over produce, needs heat to ripen

*SWENSON RED -moderately hardy -30*F-table grape and wine-susceptible to downy

*EDELWEISS-moderately hardy -30*F -white wine and a very sweet table grape-fairly disease resistant, brittle shoots, pick early

*ST. CROIX-moderately hardy-wine-roots less hardy, needs snow mulch, much vegetative growth, low fruit production

*ST. PEPIN -moderately hardy -25-30*F -white wine and juice -interplant for pollination, plant 2 plants per hole, late ripening

*LOUISE SWENSON-very hardy -40*F -white wine, blend with Prairie Star-good plant behavior, struggles in sand, sensitive to drought

*PRAIRIE STAR-very hardy -40*F-white wine, non foxy, good to blend and add body to finish thin wines-brittle shoots, disease resistant

MARECHAL FOCH-25*F-wine, versatile-needs heat to ripen

*SABREVOIS-moderately hardywine, high quality -mid season, vigorous, struggles to balance fruit to vegetation

LA CRESCENT-moderately hardy-white wine-susceptible to cold damage after warm spell, short dormancy, needs spray program

*ES 10-18-30-hardy-white wine, good body and mouth feel, oustanding-not disease resistant, needs spray, shoots grow upright----Grandparents--- Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon

* Indicates vines bred by Elmer Swenson, these may carry a patent, you may pay a royalty when you purchased them...watch out for the 'Plant Police' should you propagate any vines....

These are just my notes and would like to hear form others who have had experience with these vines and get your opinion.
Edited by: Northern Winos
I have been wanting to trial ES 10-18-30 here in Michigan mini-vineyard, but I haven't been able to find a seller. Any suggestions?

NW - I like your description of the early seasonal changes - thanks. Things are similar here, down to 45 degrees this morning, will be in the mid-70's this afternoon - that's quite a daily range. I always notice the lowering sun angle with a little melancholy, but also find that I look forward to the strengthening autumn cooldown. For some reason each year I look forward to firewood work and the processes of hunkering down for dead of winter later on. This always starts about now, when the days are already noticeably short and the mornings cool. I'm on the lookout for a log splitter this year, after years of splitting 5 cords per year by hand. Just shy of age 60, I would appreciate the increased mechanical advantage.

So, 25 pounds of grapes will yield maybe 4 gallons of juice? If you decide to ferment for wine rather than make table juice, I would like to know how much wine you get in the end. 25 pounds off one vine is enormous, of course you noted that you hadn't pruned it. And as you say, it may have overcropped this year and may suffer some this winter. All good research, so keep posting!

Bill
I agree I look forward to firewood chores and shorter colder days. I bought a splitter and it really helps for those crotches and logs with knots, but nothing beats hand splitting nice straight oak.

I had pretty well given up on the prospects of growing grapes in Alberta. This might cause me to create a lot more work for myself. :rolleyes:
You don’t seem like the kind to shy away from a challenge. Have you considered a mini greenhouse, or those half-circle tunnels? Might buy you a couple of growing zones?

Why do you live where it’s so cold?
mmmm, mostly self loathing. I was really doing well in BC, but I couldn't help but think I don't deserve this. I am much better suited for Alberta.

😄

Actually, I was born in Vancouver, and it is pretty cut throat there. Not to mention cost of living. I couldn't find a real direction because most industries were undercutting themselves. They call AB little Texas. I moved here for new experiences and built a home based business within a couple of years. I'm on 160 acres, 42 years old, 12 years into the land and business, 75% through the build, and 90% retired.

I have plans for warmer pastures, but Alberta is my home.

Back