Hard Water Haze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttimmer

Reaction score
I'll admit, without really thinking about, I used tap water for my first couple of batches (skeeter pee recipes). The wines taste wonderful, have no solid sediments, but haven't really completely cleared to that sparkling look.

Is my best bet, just buying water???

wow thats crazy, i got this good ol indiana hard water which is like one or two steps away from solid haha, you can distill your own water which is a lil more labor intensive but that should do the trick

-EDITED

Last edited:
-unaware i wasn't supposed to talk about this here my apologies-

Last edited:
-unaware i wasn't supposed to talk about this here my apologies-

Last edited:
I'll admit, without really thinking about, I used tap water for my first couple of batches (skeeter pee recipes). The wines taste wonderful, have no solid sediments, but haven't really completely cleared to that sparkling look.

Is my best bet, just buying water???

Two things, more time for it to finish settling down. I know, skeeter pee, time to drink it,lol. The other is did you hit it with sparkaloid? That usually clears s.p. up fast. Arne.

Although the legality of freeze concentration of alcohol is a question that I haven't been able to find a good answer too, it is pretty clear from the ATF regulations that home production of beer and wine only includes a product below 25% alcohol. If you do freeze concentration to produce something higher it is no longer beer or wine. Thus it would not be legal under the law to produce at home without a license.

And to add to GreginND is something that we are not allowed to discuss on the forum. Sorry but if you are looking to jack the alcohol, you will need to discuss that someplace other than on the forum.

So back on the subject of water, I read somewhere (maybe even here) that if you have reservation about using household tap-water because of possible bacteria in well water or too many chemicals in city water, go ahead and use bottled. However,,, the scientists have noted that it necessary to use filtered or spring vs distilled. The reason is simply that the yeast in the fermentation stages requires oxygen to do it's thing. Not present in distilled.

Two things, more time for it to finish settling down. I know, skeeter pee, time to drink it,lol. The other is did you hit it with sparkaloid? That usually clears s.p. up fast. Arne.

My brew store hasn't been carrying sparkaloid and was out of SuperKleer. So I used Isinglas on the first batch and SuperKleer on the second. With the SuperKleer especially, the difference was amazing - but the wine just never lost the final haze. I just received Sparkaloid that I ordered from George... I'll use that in the future and will probably start buying water from Walmart. I've even thought about buying a gravity filtration system.

Latest posts

Back