Hard Lemonade, Blackberry & Raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
20080812_083501_IMG_7835.jpg

My second batch of hard lemonade was a real challenge. I acclimated EC 1118 to the must and pitched the yeast. Eight days later I had no fermentation so I added 3 very ripe bananas because I knew the yeast would love them and that they would float. I sprinkled a second packet of EC 1118 over these and did not stir. A slow fermentation started only on the surface but I reasoned that a population of yeast would begin to build and trigger fermentation of the lemonade. It took another week but things are now moving along nicely. If the bananas do not overly influence the final taste, this will be the technique I will use on future lemonades.

The secondary in the middle is the blackberry (16 quarts of steam-juiced).

The secondary on the right is a Welch's White Grape Raspberry with 2 pounds raspberry preserves and 10 bananas. I have made this one before and it is excellent.

The Hard Lemonade is something I have been thinking about making....we enjoy the Hard Apple Cider so much.....Sounds like your batch was a real challenge....hope it works out.

The Blackberry sounds really good....How many pounds of fruit to get 16 quarts of juice????
A friend from Wisconsin has access to many Blackberries and said he'd contribute to some wine....wonder how you'd split a batch with contributed fruit????

What kind of carboy is the one on the right????

It took 32 pounds of blackberries.

The carboy is 5 gallons, Pyrex, made in Brazil.

I would split 50/50 and hope that was generous enough to have more sent my way.

Smokegrub said:
It took 32 pounds of blackberries.

The carboy is 5 gallons, Pyrex, made in Brazil.

I would split 50/50 and hope that was generous enough to have more sent my way.

I was thinking 50/50% too....Don't think he'll bring them till deer season and things can stay frozen for the trip.

As, I am certain you already know, frozen fruit yields more juice so that is not a negative.

Since the foregoing photo was taken I have added 1 1/2 gallons of peach. It was racked today, as was the blackberry and raspberry--the lemonade is still slowly fermenting. The blackberry, which was made using juice obtained by steam-juicing, does not have the bitterness I have experienced when I have fermented on the fruit--it is going to be a good one!

Latest posts

Back