Hard Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd1

Reaction score
Ok folks, I’ll need some hand holding …
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I want to make a 5 gal batch of hard cider.
Help along the way would be greatly appreciated.
Befletch13 posted a recipe for Apfelwein ( German Hard Cider ).
He modified the recipe considerably.
I would like to follow the recipe more closely.

-----------------

The recipe:

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider)

Ingredients:
5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives)
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast
5 Campden tablets Crushed.
5Tsp of Yeast Nutrient

Seems like a ‘simple’ recipe …..
I have 5 gal of 100% apple juice, the only additive is ascorbic acid.
If I have read correctly, ascorbic acid is added to reduce oxidation, preserve color, etc., and is often added to the must of fruit wines.
I should not have to add more ascorbic acid to the must, correct?

Next, the dextrose.
I have a 4 pound bag of dextrose.
Why does the recipe say, “2 pounds, in one pound bags”??

I have the Montrachet, yeast nutrient, and K-meta.
Last month I got a 6.25 gal carboy from George.
I would like to use this as the primary, and fill to a little over 5 gal.
First racking should fill a 5 gal carboy right up to where it should be. I have the 5 gal carboy.
If there is extra, I can put it in a small bottle w/airlock.

Now as for the k-meta …. I’ve read a lot, and there seems to be much variation and ways to approach the proper amounts.
I use the powder, no campden tabs.
So when I build the must for this 5 gal+ batch, how much powder do I use?
Is this correct?: ¼ tsp K-meta for 5 to 6 gal of must = ~40 ppm, and that is the optimum figure.

Thanks for the assist.
More questions will follow ….. like …. exactly what makes this an “Award Winning” recipe??

Oh, and I started a 3 gal batch of AO on March 8<SUP>th</SUP>.Pic:

20080316_173322_OA.jpg

PREP TIME 5 Min
COOK TIME 30 Min
READY IN 35 Min

INGREDIENTS
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
3 cups white sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
1 (750 milliliter) bottle SHINE

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely.

When juice mixture is cool, stir in the Shine

We have been making Hard apple Cider for a couple years. We make it out of store bought apple juice and use frozen apple concentrate to bring up the S.G. to about 1.060...then prime it like beer and bottle in beer bottles.

It is lower alcohol than wine and really hits the spot on a hot afternoon during the summers.

Here is the Post...

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=894&amp;KW=hard+apple+cider

We are going to have an empty carboy next week and will be mixing up another batch of hard apple Cider...it should be ready for hot summer nights.

I am going to use the same recipe as last time....
[This makes more than 6 gallons...so reduce the apple juice to 5 gallons or have a gallon jug handy]

6 gallons Apple Juice
9 frozen cartons apple juice concentrate [to S.g. of 1.060 to 1.065]
6 Campden Tablets
4 tsp Acid Blend
4 tsp Liquid Tannin

Let sit 24 hours...then ..
Add:

3 tsp Pectic Enzyme
6 tsp Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp yeast Energizer
Yeast....

Will either use ....
Munton's Ale Yeast...
or...Red Star Cotes des Blanc....
or....Lalvin EC-1118...
or..Lalvin K1V-1116 Montpellier

Been using different yeasts each time...

If you want carbonated Cider....
Once the must is fermented DO NOT stabilize or use any campden tablets at bottling...You want to save what's left of the yeast in the must for your carbonation in the bottles. Then prime with some corn sugar and bottle in beer bottles and crown caps...rinse all the bottles and equipment with water to be sure to get rid of all the sulfite solution at bottling....Set bottles at room temperature for about 2 weeks.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Guess I'll add my question to this topic - I would like to make hard cider like we buy at the store that isboth carbonated and sweet - the helpful instructions in the resource section http://www.finevinewines.com/APPLE-CIDER-ANYONE.htmrecommend that if you are going to bottle carbonate, sweeten the beverage after you pour it in the glass. I don't keg so perhaps that is the only way to do it - I just wanted to check before I give up and see if anyone knew of a way to produce a sweet hard cider that is bottle carbonated??

Thanks!

Hello - well, I answered my own question - I fermented a one gallon test bottle of apple juice. When it was done, I added one can of 100% frozen apple concentrate to sweeten it. I bottled it in 12-oz soda bottles and after about a week, voila, it was sweet and carbonated - nothing exploded and it seemed to work fine. It could use some aging but I see that the general process works so I'm going to do 5 gallons next.
Wayne

Good going....Hope you enjoy it and please Post your progress on your ext batch....We all need new recipes and ideas.
Edited by: Northern Winos

Keep an eye on those bottles Wayne. I suspect that they are not done fermenting yet. Due to the lack of oxygen and the pressure build up inside the bottle, that fermentation in the closed container will be much slower and will continue to eat the sugar and get higher in alcohol.

Will they explode?.....................

Dunno......... You'll have to let us know..........
smiley36.gif

Yes, good point - I worried about explosions also so put them in plastic soda bottles rather than glass beer bottles. I got the basic idea from making root beer - a ton of sugar was added to the root beer and then some yeast and then it was bottled and it carbonated but didn't explode and was still sweet. So, I thought the amount of sugar in the apple juice concentrate might be ok to add to the fermented apple juice.I'll let you know- we'll have to quit drinking them up so that we can see what happens to them!
Wayne

Wayne said:
I got the basic idea from making root beer - a ton of sugar was added to the root beer and then some yeast and then it was bottled and it carbonated but didn't explode and was still sweet.

Interesting point......... Your right. I wonder what the difference is between root beer and wine? We have done the root beer before as well....... What yeast was used with it? I don't remember...............

Latest posts

Back