Hanger Steak with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last nights birthday dinner!

This was a keeper for sure. We served over a bed of smashed potatoes with skins. The potatoes had both cream cheese and sour cream blended in! We have just about every herb growing in the garden so just went out back to snip the rosemary and french tarragon. We pick up a really nice blend of high quality dried shrooms from Costco. Just rehydrate for 10 mins and use as normal. For starters, we had an iceberg wedge salad topped with blue cheese dressing and crumbles with fresh bacon bits on top. Dessert was a home made carrot cake. One of my favs for sure.

Bon appétit!

Recipe from Epicurious

20111013_092239_photo1.jpg

Looks delicious, Mike. Which Merlot were you serving? Was it the RJS, Winery Series, Washington merlot?

At this time of day, I should not be looking at photos of something so very delicious!!! :se

Looks terrific, Mike. Who does the cooking, you or the Mrs.?

ManOman!

That sure looks good.

One question... What type of mushrooms were they. I know that they were dried, but were they portabello? Button?

The mushrooms must have put it over the top.. FORGEDABOUTIT!!!!!!

They came from Costco in good size plastic container. I think this is it below.

Looks like it has just about every kind you could ever want. They work out great for cooking in sauces etc.

I make a pretty mean Steak Marsala (like you get at Carrabba's Italian Grill) as well and used these the last time and it was soooooo worth the calories and cholesterol!

dried_mushrooms.jpg

WOW!

At my local, they a gallon container of dried porcini mushrooms for about $14.00.

I loved them in souces, soups, ontop of burgers... I could not get enough of them.

Its like they were heroin dealers, the first taste is cheap but then the price goes up once you are hooked.

Now I can't find them for under $30.

How much was the stuff you have pictured?

That's my kinda of lunch! hummmm

I love the costco dried wild mushrooms! Here in Canada I pay 4$ for 1lbs of dried mushrooms! A real steal! it's an equal blend of porcini, oyster, chanterelle and boletes. Last time I bought some I took home 5 container lol Yeah I can't live without shrooms! hehe

You should learn picking wild mushroom, it's one of my other hobby and it's the most addicting hobby ever. nothing like fresh mushrooms! (some are better tasting when dried though, like porcini for exemple)

I do work out but I suspect I need to increase the duration as I get older I seem to be burning less calories but I noticed consumption is still the same!

I am surrounded by wild shrooms in the mountains above me as well as Santa Fe. I have friends that go out and collect them several times a year but I know for a fact that they have favorite hunting grounds and they won't share where they are. I would have to find my own spot with a lot of effort and a little bit of luck!

You should learn picking wild mushroom, it's one of my other hobby and it's the most addicting hobby ever. nothing like fresh mushrooms! (some are better tasting when dried though, like porcini for exemple)

Every mushroom hunters have their “secret spot” hehe And when you found one, you’ll know why every hunter keep it a secret ;)

Keep looking and you’ll eventually found your own spot. Knowing to spots trees is a must, because lots of mushrooms are symbiosis with trees.

Timings is also important. If it’s been dry for a week, don’t bother looking you won’t find much. A day after a good rain and they’ll pop everywhere!

With practice you’ll develop your “mushroom goggle” :D

I am surrounded by wild shrooms in the mountains above me as well as Santa Fe. I have friends that go out and collect them several times a year but I know for a fact that they have favorite hunting grounds and they won't share where they are. I would have to find my own spot with a lot of effort and a little bit of luck!

Back