Half ripe clusters?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yosef

Junior
Reaction score
Growing small vineyard in Israel...this year half of each cluster ripened while the other half (of the same cluster) remained green. What might have caused this, and how might I prevent this next year?
Thanks!

Try leaf pulling or thinning to allow more sun and air on the grapes so that they ripen evenly. Some vineyards pull a bunch of the leaves on the morning side of the vine and leave more leafs on the afternoon side so that the grapes do not burn.

What type of grape? I am very new but our old concords have done this as long as my mom can remember( 60 years).
I have postulated with her that pruning the bunches early in the season would allow more energy to those that remain.

Just a guess:

Maybe you have too many clusters on the vines? Or too many shoots, as DaveL suggested. So the vine doesn't have enough energy to get all the berries "through"?

Easy solution for this problem:
Just cut the green part of the clusters away. As early as possible, so the vine doesn't need to support the useless berries that are not going to ripe anyways and can put all it's energy into the remaining ones!

Latest posts

Back