Cellar Craft Gruner Veltliner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
I started this kit a couple of days ago, nothing special in the instructions versus other white wine kits I have done. Today i received my new Winemakers magazine and it included an article on this wine talking about how sensitive it is to temp, and sanitation practices, oxygen exposure, and clearing problems. My question is, has anyone experienced any problems making this wine, and would you recommend doing anything different than the basic instructions that came with it or am I just worrying about nothing? thanks, Ron

They are talking about making wine from fresh grapes in the article. Remember a kit has been processed in several ways including flash pasteurization!

This kit is on my list of whites to make this year so I am very interested in how it turns out. I would treat this like any other white. Ferment on the lower side use your normal sanitizing techniques and just keep a good eye on it while its fermenting. As for clearing this kit may be like the CC Showcase Viognier that I did last year. It was a some beach to clear and it actually came with an extra dose of fining agents. Don't panic if it doesn't clear right away but make sure it is warm when you degas and kept warm for a few days after wards to help aid in clearing.

Keep us posted especially with tasting notes!
smiley20.gif

I read the same article yesterday and will be anxious to hear aboutyour progress. I would love to try this one soon.

Thanks for the imput. If it tastes as good as it smells right now during the ferment it should be a great wine.

This is a great kit! I began this kit 5/18/10 and bottled it on 7/16/10. I followed the instructions and did not make any modifications. I opened a test bottle at 3 months from bottling and it was not very exciting at all. Last week I opened my 6 month test bottle and OMG! It is so much more balanced and aromatic. It is always amazing how wine changes in the bottle. I don't plan on trying this again until maybe the summer. This wine has tremendous potential so I want to give it time. I hear with time this will develop that white pepper spicy finish which is why I love Gruner! You will not be disappointed with this kit.

My Gruner Veltliner has been in secondary fermentation for 3 weeks. the sg reading is now .998, but it still has some bubbles rising to the top. Could it still be fermenting after all this time or could it just be excess gas in the wine. Not sure whether to go on to clarifiing or let it set longer. any suggestions? thanks, Ron.

3 weeks in secondary is plenty. If 0.998 is all it is thats considered dry.

Rack it, degas it, stabilize and clarify it. The bubbles are more than likely residual CO2 leaving.

As it leaves your wine is unprotected against oxidation until you get the Sulfite in it so don't wait much longer.

Latest posts

Back