Green Insect on Underside of Leaf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisvt

Pomfret, VT
Reaction score
This might be a useless post without photos, but here it goes...

I'm out of town from my vineyard but my father reports that there are some greenish yellow colored insects on the underside of a number of our petite pearl leaves. They are slightly smaller than a grain of rice and the infected leaves (mostly new growth) are starting to curl a bit and lose color. He didn't see any galling, so I don't think it's phylloxera ansaid they move relatively fast, which doesn't sound like mites or aphids. My only guess is potato leafhopper.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone successfully used Safer soap for leafhopper control?

Last edited:
You are right. It isn't possible to ID an insect from that description other than to say it is an insect. The new leaves are attacked because they are the most tender. New leaves tend to be lighter in color anyways because they aren't mature yet and full of chlorphyl. They will survive until you get home and can identify the insect. If it makes you feel better go ahead and have him put some of the soap on- it won't hurt the vine.

Back