Green goo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
First batch of elderberry from VH 96 oz. juice can. Ferment went well without the goo in primary that has been spoken about on this site. Now I am noticing the goo on the ribs of my better bottle. I did read that using veg oil will clean this from the primary how about from internal ribs of a better bottle. I am close to the point of racking this after 3 months and am looking ahead. I am expecting to see more on the bottom of the carboy when I rack. Would applying some oil with a bottle brush and letting sit for a short period then washing normally clean this out? The next time I think I will use the glass carboys so it settles to the bottom and not the ribs. Any help would be appreciated.

Get a bottle brush. They sell them in the right size for a carboy (carboy brush?). They are also not very expensive.

Have two bottle brushes. A straight one and the bottle brush with the 90 bend in it. Just have read on here that the goo can be hard to remove.

It ill come off pretty easy if you get the vegetable oil in there.

Yop, I think you just have sediment settling into the ribs, not green goo. Green goo usually would be at the top because it does not like water. The way you describe this is more like sediment. Take the bubbler off of your better bottle and then give it a quick twist to the right, and then to the left, and then back right again to dislodge the sediment, this will help keep it out the next time you rack. If you do end up with some green goo at the top like people have said, veg oil, and then wash the veg oil off with some dish detergent. Good luck on your first EB batch. Crackedcork

ps we have some more info on elderberries on our webpage

Last edited:
I've had definite goo beads on the inside of GLASS carboys. They rinsed right out without any oil or brush.

That is what I did too.. Just give it a quick twist or gentle shake ans it will fall to the bottom. I have dones this with the last kits I made know problems at all. It is still a good idea to filter before bottling anyway too.

Thanks for the input. I tried a quick twist with no results and also rapping on the side of the carboy, which works with my other wines when I see sediment settling on the ribs, no luck either. Was going to rack but looking at records I had racked on Oct. 21 so will wait. My curiosity is way up but patience kicked in and will go ice fishing instead. The sediment will still be there next month and I don't think it will hurt the wine. Other than that the wine is really clear. I tried to take a picture but it really doesn't show the deposits. The lake I go to had 4" yesterday so the season is definitely underway.

Sitting in your fishing shack, a nice bottle of elderberry chilling on the ice outside, keeping the maggots warm under your lip and watching the pike cruise under your feet, what a nice way to spend a cold winter day. CC

I can't imagine putting vegetable oil IN a carboy, then trying to get it all out. I also don't know how it will react to PLASTIC. My plastic fermenters take a lot of work to get it off... glass is easier. I take a wad of paper towel to get it out of the neck.

Debbie

Deb, dont keep putting yourself in a box of what you cant imagine doing :) The oil comes out easily enough with just warm water and dawn dish detergent. If you do for some reason have green goo in a glass carboy fill it 90% full with hot water and add in some veg oil and leave it a couple of days, the goo likes the oil, not the water and will dissolve in the oil. Some dawn liquid detergent and a jet washer to wash it out and you have a nice clean carboy. Why wouldnt it work on plastic? It works well on our better bottles. Your food grade plastics shouldnt have any problem with veg oil.

Crackedcork

I can't imagine putting vegetable oil IN a carboy, then trying to get it all out. I also don't know how it will react to PLASTIC. My plastic fermenters take a lot of work to get it off... glass is easier. I take a wad of paper towel to get it out of the neck.

Debbie

But hot water is a no no for glass, right?? It can start small cracks forming, then with a little stress... POP??

I just know that WE work really hard to get the goo off plastic... it doesn't seem to stick to glass as easily. I hate to see someone put a bunch of oil in a carboy and then have a heck of a time getting it all out!!

Debbie

oil and dawn dish washing liquid kinda go together you put in oil and dawn mix with a small amount of water what you pour out will be oily watery dawn and the oil will be gone

Hot tap water not boiling water, how do you ever get your glassware clean without hot water? There is a small difference is how we talk about this green goo, I have done these things to clean out carboys, easily, and you think it cant be done. Veg oil in, green goo out, dawn dish detergent in, hot water, oil, goo, and dawn go out. Crackedcork

But hot water is a no no for glass, right?? It can start small cracks forming, then with a little stress... POP??

I just know that WE work really hard to get the goo off plastic... it doesn't seem to stick to glass as easily. I hate to see someone put a bunch of oil in a carboy and then have a heck of a time getting it all out!!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back